PDA

View Full Version : PowerCompact fluorescent light bulbs

jurisnipper
01/23/2002, 06:47 PM
Rather than driving all over the valley looking for bulbs, which stores carry power compact bulbs vs. which can order them?

I am setting up a 10 gallon nano tank with a 65 watt LOA 6500K fixture and a 28 watt PC actinic bulb. I need to find someone who carries the 28 watt bulbs (I'd rather not pay shipping and handling to mail order something I can buy locally).

Thanks in advance.

jurisnipper

golfsuper
01/24/2002, 09:19 AM
jurisnipper,

Not sure about that size bulb, but I think Frank at Enchanted Aquariums stocks some PC stuff. Jen's in Nampa may also. Might be best to call around.

golfsuper

incuboy
02/13/2002, 01:01 PM
I secretely joined today and am hoping to weedle my way into your little group here in Boise...but on the subject of lighting I have a couple of comments.

In addition to Enchanted Aquarium, Petco started getting some smaller bulbs in as well (yeah, scary).

Also, just from a bad experience... I have JBJ Formosa Deluxe lighting on my system and I've had 6 ballast failures in one year. Frank at E A has been very kind to replace these for me, but I finally got really annoyed and wrote JBJ a letter. They didn't respond, so I wrote them again. Finally, a third attempt got a response that basically, they didn't care as long as they were getting replaced, but admitted there were issues with this product. I sent the newest failures back a couple of weeks ago and am absolutely disgusted with them. The retro's work great and I've had no problems, so I'm trading the deluxe in for those with a $200 loss.

my 2 cents worth ;)

Kaden

jurisnipper
02/13/2002, 02:03 PM
My project has changed a little. I have decided to go with a 29 gallon instead of the 10, and have decided to up the PC bulbs from 1-28W to 4-28W.

I ended up ebaying the bulbs I needed. I paid roughly $15 each for four of them. One of the auctions had a couple PFO type ballast endcaps/cords. Let me know if any of you could use them. Otherwise, I'll ebay them.

I then went to Alloway Electric and picked up the ballast and the PC endcaps. Ballast was $25.00 (turns out that HomeDepot sells it for $22). End caps were $3.50 each.

The hood is constructed of lumber from HomeDepot.

The fans for the hood are three inch computer fans which are variable speed (the hotter it is, the faster they (and louder) turn, vice versa). I still need to run to the Youth Ranch to look for a 12V power supply that will power them both.

I have even bent my own reflectors from sheet metal (Home Depot.)

Being my first reef tank in 10 years, I am opting for the cheap DIY/redneck lighting system rather than springing for something nice. I'll do it up right the next time I set one up...

incuboy...what kind of ballasts were they? why do you think they were failing?

incuboy
02/13/2002, 05:15 PM
honestly not sure what kind of ballasts (they were proprietary to JBJ). I took them to Grover to have them tested after a couple of failures and they confirmed that the electronic ballast for the blue was indeed failing. (Something to note, it was always the blue that failed). They were unable to order a replacement, nor was Alloway since they had nothing that matched.
JBJ admitted that they had a problem with failing ballasts, and Frank at Enchanted Aquarium also mentioned they had problems with them (he's had a few other returns).

I really do like them when they work (which is usually less than 3 months). The retros though, they rock--and are JBJ's as well. Funny thing is, I would expect that they used the same ballast for the retro-fits as they did for the Formosa Deluxe. Apparently not.

I wouldn't mind talking to you guys about how to "do your own lighting" for a couple of other tanks I have. I have a 55 bowfront and a 65 hex that I would like to change to salt (currently have a 155 bowfront reef).

Honestly, I'm really kinda hyped. Only met one other person with a tank here in Boise, so it will be nice to talk to people about what they do. My reef is pretty cool (minus the lighting failure that resulted in the loss of some things I'm kinda depressed over), but I'm hoping to improve.

kgross
02/13/2002, 05:58 PM
WHat ballast are you using? The only ballast I have found is the ones for the circle lights.

If that is what you are using, I would suggest using the PFO ballast, which is a fulham workhorse 5. Mounted in a nice metal enclosure. It will operate 2 of the 28 watt pcs or even 2 55 watt pcs. by itself.

With a 29 gallon tank, other than you already have the bulbs, I would suggest 2 of the PFO/Fulham ballasts and run 4 55/65 watt pcs.

They are really good ballasts, I have finally found another source for them, and will be able to get some more into our store so I will be putting for VHO and PC's on some of the tanks that do not currently have enough light.

Kim

incuboy
02/13/2002, 06:10 PM
This is the system that I have had problems with. Again, I have no clue what ballasts are form-fitted into this system, as they come pre-built. http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_formosa_dx.html

They are 96 watt PC bulbs (and seperate ballasts per bulb).
This is pretty much the only thing I've used (i have 4 systems (8 bulbs) on my tank--two of which are retros).

I'm pretty keen on staying with the 96 watt or higher bulbs since the tank is pretty good size. With the 65 hex...not sure...it is pretty deep so I don't really know what to do about that yet. Perhaps pendant VHO lighting will work...?

I've never been to your store, I think it would behoove me to take a drive out there...where is it?

Incuboy
:cool:

jurisnipper
02/13/2002, 06:41 PM
The ballast is an Advance electronic REL-4P32-RH-TP. It will run all four 28 watters (2-"blue", 1-7100 and 1-50/50). I am also going to run a 65W 6500K Lights of America spot light over the thing.

kgross
02/13/2002, 07:01 PM
On your JBJ setup. THe ballasts that I have on order, will run 2 96 watt bulbs (one of hte two models, so if you want to replace the ballasts I can help you out. I do not have the currently, I placed the order today, and will hopefully have them sometime next week..

Jurisniper, I haven't worked with that ballast at all. So you will have to let me know how it works out for you.

Kim