PDA

View Full Version : Pickling lime in Boston area

cheese1
01/23/2002, 09:38 AM
I know it is out of season around here but does anyone know where I can pick it up locally. Wal-Mart and Stop and Shop do not have it in stock.

Greg Hiller
01/23/2002, 01:49 PM
I don't know where to find the pickling lime, but I will say that I put an order together with a few people a few years ago for calcium oxide. It's called Vertical Quicklime and it costs $19 for a 50# bag as I recall. The catch is you need to purchase about 20 bags at once to make it worthwhile. It is purchased direct from the chemical supplier. If you can get some folks together it might be worth it. I've got plenty for a long time for my own use. The stuff is clean and safe for tank use. FWIW, when added to water calcium oxide quickly hydrates to calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser, or limewater). Because you are not paying for the extra water you can also save a few bucks in the shipping costs.

- Greg Hiller

yaktop
01/23/2002, 08:56 PM
been surfing and researching for 3 months now and getting underway. first I've read about pickling lime, what this about? good, bad, cost advantage, when or why is it needed etc. sounds like a cost saving like southdown - I'm in. thanks for the education.:D