PDA

View Full Version : HELP with high calcium??

ltbt8
01/22/2002, 11:21 PM
I've been using seatest calcium test kit. The test always seemed low(375mg) and would never go up. Today I went and bought a calcium test made by NATUREEF and the test was super high(600mg). I believe the Natureef test is more accurate than seatest. My question is how to get it down??? By the way my alk is at 15.75dkh.:eek1: :confused:

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/23/2002, 08:34 AM
Personally, I'm not too inclined to think that both the alkalinity value (5.6 meq/L) and calcium value (600 ppm) are correct, but they might be.

If accurate, I'd do nothing but wait from them to drop over time as the corals use calcium and alkalinity to form calcium carbonate. Don't add any calcium or alkalinity supplement in the meanwhile.

Once they get down to more reasonable levels (say, 400-420 ppm calcium and 2.5-4 meq/L alkalinity), you can resume supplementation. If the reported values are accurate, the alkalinity value will be corrected before the calcium value. Once the alkalinity hits the desired range, use an alkalinity supplement. Then later when the calcium gets into range, you will need to supplement it.

ltbt8
01/23/2002, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your help!!!:D :D