PDA

View Full Version : OMAS Frag Program

Thumper1
04/28/2005, 09:11 AM
Ok lets get something going here. How do we want to do this.

TheMcs
04/28/2005, 09:23 AM
The COMAS method seems to be effective. I nominate Reuben to organize it!
(Weren't we supposed to talk about this Monday night?)

Travis L. Stevens
04/28/2005, 09:40 AM
Oh ya, I say go for it. Even if it means just a small group of people doing it amongst themselves. Should we set it up just like COMAS. It is very effective and Ive seen it personally in action. Im willing to spread the lordhowensis in OMAS after I get COMAS going with it. I just started with them since it was already an existing program, so don't feel left out OMAS. I can offer:

Now:
Green Star Polyps (green, duh)
Later:
Acanthastrea lordhowensis (red with green stripes)
Candy Cane Coral (reg with green center)
Neon Green Rhodactis Mushrooms
Metallic Green Mushrooms
Various Palythoa, Protopalythoa, and Zoanthids. (they aren't anything impressive. rather drab in color actually.)
Pulsing Xenia (might be a pompom, I dont know my xenias too well)

Maybe lanamarks would like to donate part of her Pink Leather fraggings to the Donor Program

lanamarks
04/28/2005, 10:11 AM
Sure

I can donate:
Pink Leather frags
Plenty of brown shrooms :)
Pink Hairy Shroom with purple tips (although TheMcs had is change color in their tank)

Travis L. Stevens
04/28/2005, 10:20 AM
Pink with purple tips?! awesome! hopefully at least one will be available shortly (since I only have room for about 1 in my tank. TheMCs - I just realized I think I have a little slice of frag heaven too. I never noticed until last night when I couldnt find a place to put a new mushroom. 22 frags in a 10g tank. Its a little cramped.

TheMcs
04/28/2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by lanamarks
Sure

I can donate:
Pink Leather frags
Plenty of brown shrooms :)
Pink Hairy Shroom with purple tips (although TheMcs had is change color in their tank)

They're a pretty entertaining strain of shrooms. Now they have a green base with brown tips. I think it's the 3rd color combo since we've had them. Just depends on where they are in the tank.

I've got a few frags growing now I'd love to get going.

Travis L. Stevens
04/28/2005, 10:48 AM
A colorchanging mushroom. SWEET! I have to get one

pwhitby
04/28/2005, 10:53 AM
Guys....

Good luck with your donor program.

Here are a few things I have learned along the way.

Make sure you do a single thread for each donor coral, makes it easier to keep track. Also, make sure DONOR is in the thread title. We have about 30 or so donor corals, and its a pain searching for them unless they have donor in the title.

Have people copy and paste the list each time, that way everythig stays in order....and have donors and sponsors (the people getting the corals) add when they got-gave the coral and to who they gave to or got from. It just makes it easier to see whow things are going.

Our program is doing well and has been a lot of fun getting going.

Hope it works well for you,

paul.

Travis L. Stevens
04/28/2005, 12:06 PM
Thank you for your support. We need to find a statewide donor program as well. You know, for things that are a little rarer. Are there any other reef clubs in the state? There has to be

lanamarks
04/28/2005, 12:52 PM
Probably not. There are only 2 cities in the state you now. Let's take Paul's advice and start creating new Donor threads.

Thumper1
04/28/2005, 10:25 PM
Ok, it seems we have more than enough people interested in it. lets move on. I say we set it up just like comas and run with it. Same rules should apply, whenever a donated coral gets twice the size they frag it and redonate it to a club member.
Eventually maybe we can get a mutual frag day set up with comas just for frag swapping meet. This way maybe we can get a few different species involved later on down the road for us and comas, I dont want to get to far ahead of the game here but it's an idea. I'll be the first start a donate thread.

Travis L. Stevens
04/29/2005, 08:46 AM
Shouldn't we get this "okayed" with our OMAS president before we rush head long into it? Im sure he is fine with it, but it is the polite thing to do.

Thumper1
04/29/2005, 03:02 PM
Your probably 100% right but he said the other night that he was ok with the plan and we needed to work on it. I will not pursue any other actions on this and let it be approved by the club and at that point someone can take run it.

pwhitby
04/29/2005, 03:26 PM
I will see if we can some of our guys to make a "frag pack" up that we can send to one of your meetings.

Paul.

Travis L. Stevens
04/29/2005, 03:51 PM
I would like to be the person to keep track of who gets/has frags. I'll nominate myself. But that is all up to be decided later.

Thumper1
04/29/2005, 06:41 PM
Paul how about me and you swap tanks their buddy old pal, lol
I still say you have one of if not the best looking tank I've seen yet, Good Job.

Travis L. Stevens
04/29/2005, 07:01 PM
Well, lets at least make some plans for the OMAS frag program. Should we set up a template about how the first post of the thread should look like and what information to be contained in it? What about having all the same title theme like COMAS does? for example, "DONOR: aptasia" ;) Who will take care of moderating the program ( ME ME ME *raises his hand high in the air* PICK ME!)? Should we keep a visual track of this? Like a flow chart?

Brandino007
04/29/2005, 07:59 PM
Good luck guys!
The frag program is a nice feature that will make it easier for Newbies to get corals started in their tanks. I know this from experience.

DizziDezi2
05/04/2005, 11:50 AM
Is the doner program free frags to poor wannabe reefers like ME?? lol- Please let me konw where the next frag swap will be- I have been wanting to buy frags from locals over the store here- they have a lot of unhealthy looking specimens. thanks all!

Travis L. Stevens
05/04/2005, 12:25 PM
check the COMAS forum. They have a large and running DONOR program, we are just starting ours. And yes, basically, it's free frags but you have to frag it to the next person

pwhitby
05/04/2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks Thumper....its still a work in progress and I cant wait to really get that 400g setup. Now that will be a sight to behold.

Good luck on the frag program guys. Feel free to use any information on our forum to help you out.

Paul.

westernman89
05/11/2005, 11:11 AM
We're going to discuss a frag trading network at the May meeting. We certainly want to get something going!

Eric West
OMAS Pres.