PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a mantis?

AquAsylum
04/27/2005, 10:57 PM
Found one that came on our TBS rock. Can't guarantee he'll come out alive, but if he does, I'd like to find him a good home. Extra points if anyone wants to attempt the extraction him/herself.

Oh, it is the red variety, if that matters.

Bugs825
04/28/2005, 11:02 AM
hey

I would be intrested in another if no one wants him. Let me know if you would like me to help.

Nathan

AquAsylum
04/29/2005, 10:42 AM
ok Nathan, thanks. the man of the house seems to want to keep him now, but I'm not really interested. we'll see how that works out- :)

If anyone just happens to be skilled at catching them, I'm all for suggestions. Taking the rock out of the tank isn't much of an option unless he becomes a major serial killer- we just have two gigantic rocks. Set a primitive trap last night and he didn't fall for it- we may just never see him again. Too bad- he was almost dead (we lost oxygen on Tuesday) and my husband didn't know what he was so he got away!

sandman12
04/29/2005, 10:59 AM
Traps are ur only chance w/o taking the rock out but if u want it out. Take the rock out, dont wait and load the tank with coral. Later on he might start killing then u will have to take rock and coral out, lots of fun :).

Agu
04/29/2005, 11:31 AM
If you want to catch a mantis or crab you need to make it think you're it's friend :lol: .

Food = Friendship

Once it's accustomed to being fed in a specific location it's not hard to get it to go into a trap. The hard part is keeping it in the trap when you go to remove it..

Agu

AquAsylum
04/29/2005, 01:31 PM
What is the best "fake" (as in not moving) food to get it accustomed to? Silversides? He sure did seem to like porcelain crabs, but that could get expensive. We don't know which rock he's in anymore, but if he's half as smart as they're supposed to be, he isn't in the rock where we originally saw him.

thanks guys- looking forward to meeting you!

Agu
04/29/2005, 10:24 PM
Laura,

Small pieces of shrimp are cheaper and don't smell as bad.

If we meet tomorrow ( I have a RE deal that may take precedence) I'll explain it to you.

Agu

Bugs825
04/30/2005, 04:08 AM
These anoying qualities make them so intresting to me.

Nathan

AquAsylum
04/30/2005, 09:54 AM
Agu, I never noticed your profile said you're a realtor! I'm a real estate attorney- I hope you make it today, we'll have to talk :)