PDA

View Full Version : Feburary Meeting

deucejimmo
01/21/2002, 08:54 PM
Feburary meeting,
This month the plan is to try to figure out which way people wish to go with our little club . Do we want to go whole hog and elect officers, do the non profit organization, collect money, type thing or would it be better if we stay non organized. We need input on what others are interested in. :) :)

idkayak
01/22/2002, 01:45 AM
thats the first thing:confused:

reefskinner
01/22/2002, 08:13 AM
I agree with idkayak. I have only been to one meeting so far, but I was not impressed. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but I felt as if I was at a Tupperware party or something.

Shawn

idkayak
01/22/2002, 04:55 PM
Just thought it was a little strange. Most non-profit organizations and clubs have a no-solicitation rule though

golfsuper
01/24/2002, 09:32 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses to jimmo's question. They are exactly why we feel a little more structure is in order at the meetings so that each of us can leave feeling as though there was some value in attending. A small group of us that have been involved with the club for more than a year got together last night to discuss the ways in which to improve the club's value to it's members. There were many great ideas thrown out from the simple to the grandiose. We'd like to talk about it at the next meeting, and then move into a structured talk about filtration. We talked at length about the soliciting issue and agree that it doesn't have a place in the body of the meeting, but if we approach a business owner at a meeting, it would be acceptable. I ask you guys (idkayak, reefskinner, and I'm sure others) to be patient and give us a chance to make these meeting really good. And of course, if you have ideas, want to give a talk on something you have learned, or have newsletter articles you'd like to submit, we welcome the participation. There are some who will come to every meeting but not actively participate, and that's fine, but a well run club also needs involved folks that are willing to roll up their sleeves and lend a hand for success. Any ideas are welcome. E-mail or jimmo if you guys have any suggestions. Look forward to seeing you at the February (14th) meeting.

golfsuper

Idaho Bob
01/24/2002, 12:42 PM
I am glad to see the group getting organized. I can relate the experience we had at a similar club in Yakima Washington.

We met at a different person's house each month, and got to see his aquarium setup, and get to know spouses and kids. That is the part I enjoyed the most. The rotation ended up with one club meeting at each of the more active members each year.

We had a newsletter, which was a real time committment for the editor. The availability of this forum probably takes the place of a newsletter, and is easier to update.

I personally like having a vendor present at the meeting, so Jen can bring me stuff I and save me the trip to Nampa. I think Frank of Enchanted Aquarium, and the nice lady (I forget her name) from Garden Center West shoudl also be invited. An occaisional speaker, or tour of GARF, would be nice also.

A great benefit for me would be trading cuttings of corals, macroalgae, and other exchanges. If those exchanges come off like tupperware meetings, I'm OK with that.

golfsuper
01/24/2002, 06:13 PM
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the response. Ironically, your name came up in conversation when we discussed who should be involved in some of the planning. We didn't call for one reason or another, but if you want to help, feel free! See you next month.

golfsuper

reefskinner
01/26/2002, 08:25 PM
Hey Bob, I may not have used the best analogy there. I am all for members trading and selling frags and equipment between one another. I also do not have a problem with a vendor answering questions or bringing items to meetings so that a person can avoid the drive to pick something up. Having a vendor give a scheduled presentation at a meeting is also fine with me. Having tours of members tanks is also a great thing in my opinion. I would like to see others setups and discuss with them how things have worked for them. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Shawn

BraveHeart
01/26/2002, 10:36 PM
reefskinner,

Hey! I can't believe I missed you. What's it been? A year or so since we last talked? My wife had to go in for some unanticipated surgery the night before the last meeting. Hope to see you at the next one. I'll bring some sps frags in my tupperware container :D :D

Bob,

The members have seen quite a bit of each other's tanks in the last year. Before that, I'd really never seen tanks other than at the fish stores and the dentist's office. It seems like someone always offers to show off their tank (or their problems) toward the end of most meetings. Personally, its these mini-field-trips that I've enjoyed the most.

Idkayak,

It bothers me that you perceived the meeting to be little more than an opportunity for solicitation. Since I wasn't there, I can't say much more because I have no direct knowledge of exactly what took place. You're right. The meetings aren't supposed to be about the exploitation of marketing opportunities. The original concept revolved around education, networking, and general promotion of the hobby. The retailers who attend have been some of the most committed participants since the beginning. Their knowledge and willingness to share it has been a big benefit to many attendees, including myself.

We've extended invitations to other retailers in the valley, but none have chosen to ever come to any of the meetings. So, should the retailers who come to the meetings and participate receive support from the members? I don't know. That's up to each and every individual. All I know is that these retailers get all of my business.

To all,

The club has been little more than a meeting place and time for a handful of reefers in the valley to get together, drink coffee, and shoot the breeze about their successes, failures, and wild ideas. At one of the meetings, golfsuper and I talked about power drills because no one else showed up. I'm thrilled that all of you found an opportunity to come to the last meeting. I hope you come to many more. If the organization is to accomplish its goals and move up to the next level, we'll need your help.

Bryan

idkayak
01/27/2002, 04:24 PM
Braveheart,

Look that was just my impression. I didn't think that all the way through the meeting. I just thought there were some moments when it seemed inappropriate. I am also very intrested in seeing other members tanks. And very intrested in any DIY projects that can be discussed. I am new to the reef world and this club. I am not very good at sugar coating things. So I am sorry for my bluntness. I won't be able to make it to the next meeting Will be in MAUI snorkleing :D

I noticed you made your own Calcium reactor! I am very intrested in this. I have a co2 tank that I used to use when making beer. Would love to see how you made yours.

Like your website here is a link to mine. Need to update it:eek:

Idkayak Reef (http://www.cableone.net/idkayak/nanoreef)

http://www.cableone.net/idkayak/nanoreef/images/reef-75/022702Right.jpg

golfsuper
01/27/2002, 08:40 PM
Idkayak,

don't feel bad about voicing your opinions! We need the input to make the club better. The whole idea is to present some value for each of the members that attend. Sure, you may not be totally into culturing your own live foods, but a night spent on DIY might be real worthwhile for you. Not to mention the BS sessions before and after the meetings or an idea picked from someone else's tank. FYI, the meeting next month will be heavy on administrative issues, but we will be moving dates and meeting locations to the last Thursday of the month on the corner of Overland and Orchard. The date for that meeting will be Feb. 28th, so hope you can make it. I'll put you on the mailing list (if you don't object) to let you know the location and date again. Thanks for the input.

golfsuper

p.s. I just finished a Ca reactor that is loosely based on a GEO reactor. I think it turned out pretty good, but haven't even run water thru it yet. I'll keep you posted, maybe even post some pictures in the next day or so.

idkayak
01/27/2002, 10:32 PM
Sign me up :bounce1: :D

reefskinner
01/28/2002, 03:47 AM
Hey Braveheart, Yeah it has been a while hasn't it. Someday we will get together, just can't say when. So why the date and location change? Be sure to put me on the mail list, I want to try and be as involved as I can. Take care......

Shawn

Idaho Bob
01/28/2002, 10:32 AM
The one meeting I went to, when Moxie Java closed, everyone headed over to a member's nearby house. Seeing his tank was very interesting, but by then it was so late, I had to split after a few minutes. If the meeting had been at his house, we could have learned more about the details of his setups.

Bob

GARFVolunteer
01/31/2002, 12:25 AM
All,

I was talking to Shawn (ReefSkinner) the other day and he told me about the club. It made my day. Hope to see you on the 14th

deucejimmo
02/01/2002, 10:40 PM
Hey Fellas
Its nice to see every one on the net again . The calcium reactor thing is probibly a good idea for a future meeting . Mine is working great. Refugiums is another thing we might devote a meeting to . The moving the meeting thing I think we should probibly talk over with the rest of the club before we make that final.

Brave heart
I will bring a list of all the names and numbers to the next meeting for you .

golfsuper
02/07/2002, 04:48 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to refer you to the change in date of the February meeting (see "date changed to 21st" post). The reason for the date change is the conflict with Valentine's day that many of you said was "risky" to say the least. Hope all of you can make it.

Idkayak,

You make it hard for someone to put you on an e-mail list. Send me you e-mail at kevhicks@velocitus.net if you want me to add you.

golfsuper