PDA

View Full Version : To Drill or Not to Drill

carlisimo1969
04/26/2005, 11:16 AM
I could use some wisdom...

I'm working on my 75gal basement sump/refugium project. It would be for a 55gal in my living room. I picked up a new AGA 75 (for $99!) and currently am building the baffles. I'm torn over the decision to submerge the pump or drill the side and go external. I'm leaning towards using a Mag 18 or 24 for the pump. I know submerged isn't the best option because of the heat issues but the glass shops say there's a considerable chance of breaking the glass when drilling the hole.

So....I guess I'm looking for input from anyone with expirience on the drilling issue. Recommendations for local (GreenBay/Appleton)glass shops you've used, or wisdom for/against submerged pumps. I'm also hunting for a good deal on a pump and external overflow, any advice there would also be greatly appreciated.

My thanks in advance overfloweth.

scooters reef
04/26/2005, 11:44 AM
I used Tri-City glass in Appleton to drill a few times in the past. I would personally go with an external pump. It will obviously need to be a large pump and would generate a lot of heat.

But, if your basement is unfinished and not heated much, you will get cooling from the sump being down there too.

Stigmatic
04/26/2005, 03:26 PM
First of all i would definatley drill the tank and go with an external pump, mags tend to get pretty warm which will mess with the water temp. Second, since it is a basement pump... how much head will there be on the pump? I started with a mag 24 on my basement sump and the return wasnt very good since it is not designed to be a high pressure pump, i ended up going with the blueline return pump which has worked great! As for the external overflow, check out ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4375339530&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

The basement acts as a great cooler if it is not finished, just be sure you have a de-humidifier down there. I forgot to turn mine on when it startred getting warm out and the water flowing through the sump seemed to soak the basement from humidity. It also blew out my chiller from vapor getting in there. Needless to say i found out without my chiller the temperature only swings 3-4 degrees and with a fan blowing on the sump it stays pretty stable.

scooters reef
04/26/2005, 03:32 PM
Oh, I have a CPR overflow that will be available pretty quick. I left the old 55 running in the basement storeroom to QT some TBS rock I am ordering (Had enough mantis battles, so looking for them first now). How much time do you have to work with though? This wont be available until mid to late May, maybe longer if TBS is backed up and can't ship right away.

Also, it HAS caused a tank overflow a couple of times. Keeping the little air connection on top connected to a venturi to keep air out helps, but don't forget to keep an eye on it to be sure it's still drawing wter to keep air out of it.

jmkarcz
04/26/2005, 10:16 PM
Just dont drill the bottom, all glass is tempering the bttoms of all tanks. I drill my own now, I havent figured out how to stop it from chipping inside, if you watch them, let me know. I get minut chipping when I break thru. I've often though about drilling my 75, and getting rid of my cpr overflow. But sinse I added the small vaccum pump I have had no isses and it's been over a year.

Jason

aberg12012
04/26/2005, 11:54 PM
hay Carl...

I'd say drill the sump, but go with a "real" external pump. Especially since your going from your basement. You'll need the extra power. Most internal/external pumps (like the mags and Quiet Ones) don't last as long out of the water colum. They arn't really designed for the extra heat. And, as I found out... Quiet Ones arn't quiet at all unless submerged. :lol:

With that said... My sump is not drilled, and I run a Quiet One 6000 submerged. But my entire system is in the basement, and should stay cool year round. We'll see this summer. I may end up taking my sump in to be drilled. (Or hire Jason.)

scooters reef
04/27/2005, 07:38 AM
Jason,

I never had the guts to try drilling glass myself, and at Tri-City I just picked it up when done.

But, I worked at a LFS in another state and went along to a distributer to pick up livestock. They were also a distributer for tanks and were busy drilling. I only watched a short while, but noticed they had clamped scrap pieces of glass to the back side. I didn't ask, but assumed it was to continue cutting into the second piece to reduce chipping. Might want to give it a try.

carlisimo1969
04/27/2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the responses.
I will probably go for the external pump setup just to avoid problems in the long run. My head would only be about 8feet not including the elbows in the plumbing...I will be pondering the decision on the pump.

Scooter, I may take you up on the overflow if I haven't already got one by the time yours is available.

Everything regarding this project is budget & family time sensitive so needless to say it's progressing slowly.

jmkarcz
04/27/2005, 02:03 PM
scooters reef
Thanks - Ill give it a whirl... literally. I have limited my work to filters and such - let me know i if can return a favor.

J

jmkarcz
04/29/2005, 11:12 AM
I contacted a local company that I use for all my supplies, they tell me they are not sure an additional piece clamped inside will work. I know this trick is used on wood and plastic.

Jason