PDA

View Full Version : Any Plastic Bucket OK?

Experimenter
01/21/2002, 05:38 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to add a refugium to a tank that really needs it. My main constraint is that it has to fit under the tank. This means I could either have one made for probably more $ than I would like, or I could find a plastic container that would fit and that I could convert.

I have found a plastic container that I think will work. It is designed to hold file folders and is plastic.

My question is - will it leak unwanted contaminants into the water? I had heard somewhere that certain plastic containers had chemicals in them that would leach into the water. Should I be concerned? If so, is there any simple test that could be done to check if it is ok?

I realize that this is marginal for this board, but I think it is still related.

Thanks again for your help!

John

Reefette
01/21/2002, 07:14 PM
Hi John,

I'm sure others will pipe in, but can you find a Rubbermaid with the same/close to the same dimensions as your file holder? Some plastics do leach into the water and I don't remember which plastics do, but Rubbermaids are used without problem.

HTH, IMO, ......

Reefette

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/21/2002, 07:39 PM
John:

I think it is a fine question for a chemistry board:)

<< I had heard somewhere that certain plastic containers had chemicals in them that would leach into the water. Should I be concerned? If so, is there any simple test that could be done to check if it is ok? >>

Personally, I don't worry much about most plastics unless they claim to be biodegradeable:D I've used many without a problem, including a big, black tool box from Home Depot as a refugium. My sumps consist of 2 x 44 gallon Rubbermaid grey "Brute" trashcans.

FWIW, I was unconvinced by some long theads that reported phosphate coming from plastic trash cans. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but the experiment in question was not convincing.

Is there a stamp (a recycling code) on the bottom that says what it is?

Gamera
01/22/2002, 12:45 AM
There are a number of generic brands of plastic/acrylic containers that leech an unwanted amount of plasticizers into the water they carry. From experience, I know that rubbermaid brand containers either don't leech a significant amount, or none at all.

Additionally, they're well worth the price you pay in terms of stability, rigidity and durability. You may still want to get an extra just in case, as some of the giant tubs you buy are injection molded and may have small holes or weak spots. I tend to seal them up with a layer on the inside and out of silicone seal or a heavy duty wet-patch for tires (just ont he outside for these kinds of patches). Make sure the seal is clean and dry. I let mine cure a good day or two before I started working with it.

hambalid
01/22/2002, 07:36 PM
I would assume that anything made from polystyrene (recycling code 2, I think) or polyethelene teraphthalate (PETE aka the stuff that plastic soda bottles are made from) should be ok. At least I hope so, since it is used to package our food! ;)

I know that NASA prohibits the use of certain hydrocarbons in spaceflight due to outgassing; however, I believe it's due more to UV effects and zero-g. But that's probably a little bit off topic...

Experimenter
01/23/2002, 10:56 AM
Randy,

The container does not have a recylce code and I could not find on the internet the company that manufactured it. The container seems fine - it is kind of opaque with a semi-rough surface on the outside and a smooth surface on the inside. It is sold at Office Depot ($7.95) to store file folders.

As I said before, I have limited space, so I am looking for something that will fit well. Most containers I have found are either too big or too small to be of much value. Yes, Rubbermaid does make a file folder container (saw it at the store, but not on their website), but it is about 2in. less in height. That is the difference between 11 1/2 and 9 1/2 inches - a pretty large percentage given the containers are not that large (apprx. 17x12x11 1/2). I also searched US Plastics and could not find something that would work.

Although you already stated that it will probably be ok, what do you think of Gamera's statement:

"There are a number of generic brands of plastic/acrylic containers that leech an unwanted amount of plasticizers into the water they carry."

Fact or Fiction? and if fact, does this matter?

Thanks,
John

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/23/2002, 11:28 AM
John:

<< Although you already stated that it will probably be ok, what do you think of Gamera's statement:

"There are a number of generic brands of plastic/acrylic containers that leech an unwanted amount of plasticizers into the water they carry."

Fact or Fiction? and if fact, does this matter? >>

It is very likely fact that some plasticizer will leach out (unless it is polyethylene or polypropylene that may not have any).

It 's the "does it matter" that seems most important to me, and I just don't think it is. Much of the stuff that we add to or use in our tanks leach some organics (foods, your hands, medications, plastics, sealants, airborne orgnaicsetc.). I just don't think the amount is significant from a solid piece of plastic in contact with salt water.

All I'd do is wash it carefully. There may be an unusually large amount of plasticizer or mold release agent on the surface itself. Wash with soap and then rinse really well.