PDA

View Full Version : Pseudochromis Dutoiti or aldabraensis

scott324
01/21/2002, 04:35 PM
Frank,

Hello, I am looking for info on these species. I have 2 of one or the other. They look so similar that its hard to tell the difference. I have heard and read that these fish don't do well with others of the same species. Am I right about these rumors? Both of mine get along fine with no signs of fighting. I have also heard that these are hermaphordites (sp). I looked in the breeders registry and found nothing on these kinds. Can you point or tell me a little about their breeding habits. I.E. What conditions they need, raising the fry, etc. I just bought a copy of Joyce Wilkersons book and am going to try and set up a little breeding station. I am waiting for my clowns to start to breed. Any help would be great. Thanks

As soon as I get my camera working I will post a pic to try and determine which one it is.

scott

FMarini
01/21/2002, 05:47 PM
Scott:
depending on how big your tank is they will get along. Remember these fish guard territories and holes, so provide them w/ physcial space and holes to protect the should do fine. Smaller tanks have a higher likelyhood of fighting(obviously).

NOW if you want to bred them your best bet is to use PVC pipes(1" diameter) w/ a capped of end, plant them around the tank and try to ensure they fish use these pvc pipes as breeding holes.
Your best source for pseudo info is Martin Moes books
Martin A. Moe Jr.’s Breeding the Orchid Dottyback, Pseudochromis Fridmani: An Aquarist's Journal (Green Turtle Publications, 1997).
Like Joyce's book he gets specific right away and its a good quick, through, read.

Once you're able to get breeding pairs of these fish i would try to seperate the pipe w/ the male from the main tank and his eggs in it. (Leave the male in the pipe-this is critical to success)
see a photo of this here
http://marshreef.org/bank.html

Once you get to the eggs stage we can talk about rotifers and such
good luck
frank

scott324
01/21/2002, 06:12 PM
Frank,

Thanks for the advice. I will look into those books. W/o buying the books can you answer a couple of simple questions. I have them in my refugium now. 45 gallons. It is also full of caulerpa so there isn't a whole lot of space. Will a male and female pair fight? Do they change sex like clowns? Are there any characteristics that would set them apart or is it just size? What is the size in which they become mature. I think I am a long way off from breeding, but would like to help it along as much as possible. Thanks
Scott