PDA

View Full Version : Good fairy wrasse?

sushiman
01/21/2002, 12:03 AM
I'm looking for a "star" for my 40gal reef. Would any of the fairy wrasses be a possibility for such a small display?

BrianD
01/21/2002, 11:12 AM
First, a couple of good links:

Fish of the Week series (http://www.reefcentral.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=6990)

Scott Michael's article on fairy wrasses (http://www.reeftectonics.com/cirrhilab.htm)

There are several fairy wrasse species that would be ok in a 40 gallon tank. Each of these choices stay around 3 inches or under:

Longfin fairy wrasse (c. rubriventralis)
Redfin fairy wrasse (c. rubripinnis)

and perhaps the best choice,

Lubbocks fairy wrasse, (c. lubocki)

HTH

Brian

hcs3
01/21/2002, 05:37 PM
hi sushiman

what othre fish are you planing on having in this 40g? fairy wrsases don't mix well with some fish.

like brian, i would highly recommend a lubbocks fairy wrasse. i fear most others will become too large and are overly active to fit into a 40g.

i have kept a lubbocks for sometime. it finally went carpet surfing. with any fairy wrasse, make sure the tank is covered. besides that, they are hardy and rarely bother anything in the tanks.

HTH

henry

sushiman
01/22/2002, 12:48 AM
Thank you for the valued input! My fishload is as follows:
-two tank raised Ocellaris.
-Lawnmower Blenny.
I'm starting to second guess a FW for this size system, I think a 55 would be a MINIMUM for this fishes well being, 75 plus being better. Pygmy Angels are gorgeous but I'm concerned about their taste for coral polyps. I think a "star" many not be practical for this size set-up. Would I be over-doing it adding the following?:
-Royal Gramma
-Fire fish
-Bangaii Cardinal
Filteration is via a Beckett modified ETSS Reef Devil, mechanical w/filter floss changed every 3 days, Chemi-pure run constantly, 40-45# Tonga /Fiji live rock, 120# mixed CC & coral sand 5" to 7" deep- takes up a third of the tank volume!, Red Mangrove (1 for now, will be making a 15gal refugium asap) on RDP, good sized clean-up crew in tank.

Thank you for all the input from the bottom of my Newbie Heart!
:spin1:
-Sushi.

sushiman
01/22/2002, 01:04 PM
Oh by the way...when they talk about the hobbiest who says "just one more..." they're talking about me!

:fish1: :fish2: :fish1: :fish2: :fish1: :fish2:

-Sushi.