PDA

View Full Version : First Rearing of Centropyge and Genicanthus angelfish from eggs!!

BigLuke
01/20/2002, 11:12 PM
Found this on another board:

WAIKÃ?KÃ? AQUARIUM ANNOUNCES BREEDING BREAKTHROUGH FOR ONE OF WORLD'S RAREST FISHES
Honolulu, Hawaii (January 17, 2002) - The Waikïkï Aquarium today announced the first ever success in rearing the endemic Hawaiian 'masked angelfish', or Genicanthus personatus.

"The success of this research expands the possibilities of including one of the rarest and most sought after fishes to the list of ornamental species commercially raised for world wide trade," says Dr. Bruce Carlson, Director, Waikïkï Aquarium. "We're thrilled with this landmark achievement in the field of aquaculture."

The Hawaiian 'masked angelfish' is native to the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, and tends to live in deeper waters. 'Masked angelfish' may be sold to aquarium hobbyists for as much as $5,000. The parental Hawaiian 'masked angelfish' were collected in Midway Island in 1993 as juveniles and grew to maturity at the Waikïkï Aquarium. The 'masked angelfishes' were all females when collected. Spawning research began when one of the females reversed sex and became a functional male. It is normal for this species to change sex as they age.

There are more than 70 species of angelfishes, and aquaculture scientists have struggled for decades to unlock the secrets to rearing these beautiful animals. Waikïkï Aquarium biologist Karen Brittain made a breakthrough when she discovered a new, living food source to sustain the small larval angelfishes. The first ever aquarium-bred larval masked angelfish began metamorphosis over the past two weeks. The juveniles are currently ½" miniatures of their parents and will go on display to the public when they are larger. The parental 'masked angelfish' are on display at the Waikïkï Aquarium's Midway Island exhibit.

The breeding triumph of the Hawaiian 'masked angelfish' comes at the same time that the Oceanic Institute announced its success in spawning and rearing the 'flame angelfish', Centropyge loriculus. And, Frank Baensch, an independent researcher working in collaboration with Malia Chow at the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, has recently succeeded in rearing 'Fisher's angelfish', Centropyge fisheri. This work was accomplished under a grant to Gordon Grau at the University of Hawaii. These researchers and organizations all worked independently, but collaborated on techniques and results. Some of the Fisher's angelfish reared by Frank Baensch will soon be on display at the Waikïkï Aquarium.

The Waikïkï Aquarium is administered by the University of Hawai'i - Manoa and is the third oldest public aquarium in the United States. Home to more than 2,000 animals representing 400 species, the Aquarium is committed to building awareness, appreciation, and conservation of the aquatic life of Hawai'i and the tropical Pacific. The Waikïkï Aquarium is a member of the Coastal America Partnership that brings together national leadership, regional planning and local action to preserve the nation's coastal environments. The Aquarium was designated a Coastal America Ecosystem Learning Center in March 2000.

First Flame Angelfish Raised Entirely in Captivity at Oceanic Institute
Researchers achieve a breakthrough in rearing prized marine ornamental fish

Waimanalo, Hawai'i, January 17, 2002: The Oceanic Institute has succeeded in raising flame angelfish, Centropyge loriculus, entirely in captivity, a notable breakthrough in the aquaculture of marine ornamental fish. This high-value aquarium species has been sought for aquaculture for numerous years.

Research teams led by Dr. Charles Laidley and Dr. Robin Shields succeeded in obtaining natural spawns of flame angelfish and in nurturing the larvae through the hatchery.

"Researchers at the Oceanic Institute are applying their expertise in food fish aquaculture technology to the culture of ornamental fish," said Dr. Anthony Ostrowski, Finfish Program Manager for the Oceanic Institute.

"The key to this recent success was in culturing suitable microscopic organism (zooplankton) as prey for the angelfish larvae," explained Ostrowski. "Conventional diets are too large for such tiny larvae, therefore our researchers isolated plankton directly from the local reef environment."

"Our ongoing zooplankton research will benefit the culture of other difficult marine ornamental and food fish species, such as deep water snappers," continued Ostrowski. "The importance of this topic is illustrated by current State-wide research activities in the private and public sectors, including a collaborative project between the Oceanic Institute and the Waikiki Aquarium."

The pioneering group of juvenile flame angelfish is almost three months of age and will be joined by additional batches in 2002, as research work continues at the Oceanic Institute's research facility on O'ahu.

-more-

First Flame Angelfish Raised Entirely in Captivity at Oceanic Institute
Page 2

The Oceanic Institute's successes in larval rearing and captive reproduction have broken down long-standing barriers to the captive culture of angelfish and other difficult-to-rear ornamental fish.

Recently, researchers at the facility also obtained the first recorded fertilized natural spawns of yellow tang, Zebrasoma flavescens, under aquaculture conditions and documented the early developmental stages of the larvae.

"The challenge now for our researchers is to convert these early achievements into reliable technology that will allow commercial cultivation of high-value species such as the flame angelfish and yellow tang," said Ostrowski. "Such advances will bring new employment opportunities and lessen the impact the aquarium trade has on Hawai'i's fragile coral reef ecosystem."

"We are thankful for seed monies from the National Marine Fisheries Service and the Center for Tropical and Subtropical Aquaculture, which allowed the Oceanic Institute to make such a rapid advance in the field of marine ornamental fish culture," said Ostrowski. "We are now ready to go forward to the next stage of research and development of this important technology."

The Oceanic Institute, located at Makapu'u Point on O'ahu, was founded in 1960. The Institute is a private, not-for-profit, full-spectrum applied research organization dedicated to the development and transfer of technology and applications in aquaculture, environmental science, and marine biotechnology. The Institute has a dedicated research program in marine ornamental fish culture.

Agu
02/09/2002, 01:20 AM
Just bringing this one back up fyi !

Agu

Brad A.
02/09/2002, 01:38 AM
This is good news for our hobby!
Thanks for the info.
Brad

FMarini
02/09/2002, 02:13 AM
Guys:
this is fantastic news....No doubt, what is more exciting, but also disconcerting for us hobbyists, is what the don't tell us.

Apparently the reason they had success is that they have identified/grown a new correctly sized, nutritionally complete food.
------------------quote------------
"The key to this recent success was in culturing suitable microscopic organism (zooplankton) as prey for the angelfish larvae," explained Ostrowski. "Conventional diets are too large for such tiny larvae, therefore our researchers isolated plankton directly from the local reef environment."

----------------end quote---------------

My concern is while this is wonderful for about 200 of these fish, until the hobbyists get ahold of this microscopic zoopanktons, we'll be watching from the sidelines. Since places like this aquarium has/will most likely patent this food, then these fish will not be commerically bred until the food costs drop.
I look forward to that day. Just like commerical phytoplanktons have become common place.

Great news story and great success to them, thanks for bringing this up.
frank

OrionN
02/10/2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by FMarini
Guys:
My concern is while this is wonderful for about 200 of these fish, until the hobbyists get ahold of this microscopic zoopanktons, we'll be watching from the sidelines. Since places like this aquarium has/will most likely patent this food, then these fish will not be commerically bred until the food costs drop.
I look forward to that day. Just like commerical phytoplanktons have become common place.
frank

One cannot patent a natural organism. I guess they can patent the process of raising the organism (maybe) but not the organism itself. They can patent a variety or strain of the organism that was developed (like a rose or an orchid cultivar?s) but not the natural occurring species

FMarini
02/11/2002, 09:01 AM
Minh:
Thanks for pointing this out.
I guess i should rephrase my statement and suggest that
"they most likely patented the technique which they used to raise the zooplanktons".
Althou you say you can't patent organisms and i will just disagree w/ you, in that many patents have been filed for specific bacteria, specific viral organisms, and specific DNA sequences which you and i posses in your body.

Believe it or not i have 2 patents; one is a sequence of DNA from the bacteria Staph. Aureaus which produces a superantigenic protien, the second is a type of stem cell found in your bone marrow. I actually have patents which make claims (since i was the discoverer of these things) that these are my intellectual property and their use is restricted.
I believe this Human genome revolution and all the ongoing medical research will start to push the limits of what are "real patents" and what not patentable. Remember a patent is only as good as the law suit which challenges it.
FWIW
thanks again

veng68
02/12/2002, 07:44 AM
There's a small article in the most recent AFM in Charles D's column about the settling of Fishers dwarf angel. He did not get into specifics yet (ie. what food they ate). Interesting though.

CHeers,
Veng68