PDA

View Full Version : Little reef frustrations.........and rediscovered joys

gas4544
07/21/2000, 08:56 PM
Looks like the queen conch I bought last night is a goner. Immediately she got allot of attention, as a queen usually does - the blue leg hermits, the peppermint shrimp, the lawnmower blenny. She's intact floating in a bag in my reef, but she's not movin'.
In the past week, I noticed hair algae on my substrate. That's part of the reason I went and bought a queen conch. Last night I gently scooped some substrate into a measuring cup and manually picked out the pieces with algae on them. This could be allot of work for a 75 gallon reef! This is just part of my solution. Nitrates are zero and phosphates are at .1 ppm, but I put fresh polyfilter in the Fluval 404 anyway. I'm also taking it easy on feeding and cutting out Reef Plus and cryopaste for awhile.
My Kenya Tree hasn't polyped out for almost two weeks, but I think he's gonna shed his slime coat soon. It'll be good to see him back to normal. One of my Xenia is shriveled up, sitting next to his momma Xenia who is looking great.
I've got about a week yet to get ready for baby Banggai Cardinals. That means a nursery tank and a DIY brine shrimp hatchery. You know, if it aint one thing, its another. ;-)
Everything can be going great, and then all of a sudden you are dealing with a bunch of little things. That's life, isn't it? It sure beats dealing with a major trauma like a Rio gone bad or an overheating heater, though. It does get to be allot of work, but that must be part of the reason I love reefing. My reef needs me!
Thanks for listening. I'm going to the grocery store for another five gallons of RO water, a steak to put on the grill, and a couple of beers. And I'm going to count my blessings and thank God for how good I've got it.