PDA

View Full Version : Basement Sump

charles6299
04/23/2005, 10:51 AM
hey guys....i am working on and designing a sump system for my basement and it seems a little damp...smells like mildew...if i put my reef sump in the basement, will it be harmed by the mildew in the air ?i plan on putting in a permanent dehumidifier but for right now its still a little musty...i was also wondering about the bacteria in the air and if it would create other problems with my water parameters ?

Howieytown
04/23/2005, 03:41 PM
Not sure about the mildew harming anything, will it grow with salt water? Doubt it.
Using the dehumidifier could be a source of clean/distilled water for a sump top off system!
As far as the smell maybe the muck coming off the skimmer will overpower it, LOL

deepbluesea99
04/24/2005, 08:30 AM
i doubt you will run into aney problems with that plan charles better start saving for a powerfull pump though lol.

STACKER
04/24/2005, 08:53 AM
Air movement (ventilation) and light is key to killing mildew. the dehumidifier will help to dry things out initially but will also assist in evap. If you cover or partially cover the sump that issue becomes a mute point.

charles6299
04/24/2005, 03:46 PM
thanks for the info...as far as the pump is concerned, i have an
Iwaki CMD mag drive...i'm not sure of the gallons per hour but this thing weighs at least 20 pounds......

STACKER
04/25/2005, 05:57 AM
The part numbers usually refer to the GPH...