PDA

View Full Version : Tidal Wave Aquariums

chiapet
04/22/2005, 03:42 PM
Tidal Wave Aquariums

I just checked out a "new" (new to me) aquarium shop.... I found it through a referral & however small, the selection was pretty good. My wife & I ended up picking up 2 Blue Hippo Tangs, a Coral Beauty & 2 Lettuce Slugs.

I'll take some pictures of the Hippos sometime this weekend. They have already made themselves at home in my 75.

They have fresh & saltwater, although I only care about the salt water stuff.

I have to admitt that from Mandarin...the journey was a hike! For what I picked up I would say the trip was worth the time. The owner seemed interested in special orders for specific items & he mentioned that he hand picks his corals.

Did I mention that the coral tank looked pretty good...it was about the size of a 75....not huge, but had plenty in it. Of special note was a very nice red tube worm. It also had "normal stuff" like goniopora, zoas, brain, ricordea, mushrooms, sun polyps, sponge, clams, plate corals, etc.

The owner seemed like a nice guy & I hope he does well.

Address:
2581 Blanding Blvd
Middleburg, FL
904-291-8292

patharm
04/22/2005, 09:11 PM
Hi Chiapet,

I have noticed that Blue Hippos have been high lately, how much did you pay for them?

Pat

chiapet
04/22/2005, 10:49 PM
Pat,
To put it into context, 1 was what I consider large & the other was a medium....I paid less than what I expected.

I was out at Fish Bowl & noticed their 2 itty bitty Hippos for $40 each, if I recall correctly.

Based on size.....I feel like to ended up with a good deal.

By the way....I think I saw you out at the beach about 3 weeks ago (getting into someones convertable BMW). It looked like you had an AL's Pizza box.

patharm
04/23/2005, 07:07 AM
Chiapet,

You are correct, I was getting into a BMW convertible after eating AL's Pizza Just a few weeks back. Sorry I missed you. Fish pricing tends to be seasonal and I believe that the price on Blue Hippos will be coming down now that the juveniles are becoming available. But as you say it’s all according to what you are looking for which makes price not as important. How is your 300gal tank project going. I have to come over again to see your tanks did not get enough time to see them last time I was there. Also I have some Zoos I can give you.

Pat

P.S. Let me know if those Hippos survive I stopped trying to establish one into the tank last year because they would always die with in a month.

chiapet
04/23/2005, 08:17 AM
As promised...this was just taken this morning.

http://chiapputo.com/Aquarium/Hippos.png

Image taken with a Canon 20D 70-200 2.8 L IS lens with Flash.

1tankneverenuff
04/27/2005, 10:29 PM
Those are beautiful! And yea, Fish Bowl Aquariums has been getting mainly small ones lately...unfortunately.

chiapet
04/28/2005, 07:27 AM
The small ones are great, but seem to have a high mortality rate. At their price....it makes sense to spend the extra money for a more mature specimen. I would love to fill a tank with Blue Hippos.

patharm
05/26/2005, 11:36 PM
Hi Michael,

I purchased a 3" Hippo tank from Rob a week and a half back and it is doing great. Was not a bad price for a Hippo either. Finally after my fourth try a Hippo that will live. Great addition to the tank. My 180 tank project is getting closer to being completed as well.

Patrick

SSweet1
05/31/2005, 09:26 AM
Aqua Zoo in Mandarin had about 30 tiny dime size hippos in a tank they were so cute and tiny. I heard that unless they can live in a refugium type set up until they get bigger they will surely die, too bad :( Carrie

floridareefs
05/31/2005, 06:59 PM
Ive had bad luck with hippo tangs, My neighbor and I dubbed them Ick Magnets..lol