PDA

View Full Version : Question about PVC

marietrg
04/21/2005, 07:56 PM
This actually pertains to my swimming pool. The pool store came out and installed a salt water system. They had to glue it into the existing PVC pipes. Unfortunately, they made a fatal error. The flow sensor has to be behind 12" of straight piping to prevent turbulence. The pool store plumbed it 4" below a 90 degree corner piece!

My question is can you unglue PVC? Is there some kind of glue remover? What I could do would be to "unglue" the flow sensor and replumb it myself.

The pool store is jerking me around. They've said they will be out the past two days and each time stood me up.

Thanks!

Country Boy
04/21/2005, 08:08 PM
Once glued..your stuck.... Ive never heard of anything that was made for unglueing..sorry. You could always cut the small section out and replace it with a coupling.

jake2045
04/21/2005, 10:15 PM
I think it melt to two peices together, I would just cut it out and replace it.

Ixthys
04/22/2005, 02:52 PM
Yep, once it's glued, it becomes "welded" together. The two pvc pieces become one.

What size pvc is it? The smaller diameters are pretty easy to cut out a section and force in a new piece. If it is larger pvc like 2 or 3" diameter, you make have to look into getting a rubber boot. Talk to the guys at home depot about it. Ultimately, stay on the pool guy's butt.

Minuteman
04/27/2005, 07:30 PM
I've been doing some crazy work with PVC lately. My latest project was to rig up a saltwater make-up container, so I could just use the circ pump inside the 20 gal container and twist a few globe valves and fill my tank through a 3/4 hose. It sure makes life easier.

Anyway, point is, if you want help or to just borrow tools, I'll be glad to help.

Greg

marietrg
04/28/2005, 08:10 PM
It all worked out in the end. It turned out the pool guy got in a car wreck the second time he was supposed to come out.

On a different note, I'm moving to Okinawa in August. I'm excited because literally my backyard will be my reef tank. On the other hand, no more aquariums..