PDA

View Full Version : How I cure my fish in my reef from ailments

kass03
04/20/2005, 04:30 PM
I hate to post this because if you have a problem with it I don't want the blame lol.

I have used this product for at least 7 years according to directions on both of my tanks and have never had a bad side effect. It has never harmed any of my corals or inverts or anything.
It all started one time when petworld was going out of business and I added a bunch of live rock to my 150 gallon tank and things went bad.
I dunno if my tank cycled again or what but my fish had every ailment there was and were dropping like flys.
I tried many meds to cure it like that ruby whatever it was lol it cost me over $100 and many water changes and did'nt work.

Petworld had this new remedy thing that is'nt really a medication it's some kind of herb thing (I think the guy makes it in his basement lol) so I tried it.
I ended up saving some of my fish including my blue hippo tang.
I've used it ever since.
In the summer my blue tang would have bouts of ich when the tank got warmer. I had that fish for 8 years until it jumped out of my tank sadly last year.
I also bought a royal gramma about 6 months ago that got a fungus after I put it in my tank and it cured that.
I havent cured every fish with it but the track record has been very good.

They have many remedies and the one I use is called salt water reef tank box set. The company is called Sano.
It looks like 2 bottles of water and maybe it is lol but I swear by it. I have cured many fish with it with a variety of ailments like ich and fungus.
I have many corals including a sps and have never noticed any change when I use it. You don't have to change water or remove carbon or anything when you use it. It doesn't harm the bacteria.

It's pricey and the shelf life is like a year or a little less.
You have to call him to order it. He does accept paypal or a postal money order.
This is his number if you want more info 203-634-7502. I have a catalog from him that explains it.

There are different dose remedies also.
I use the 1 drop per 50 gallon size because I have big tanks but it usually comes in a 1 drop per 5 gallon size. I think it's around $45 shipped for the 1 drop per 5 gallon size.

Theres also different doses for how bad off the fish is. You can only use it for 2-3 days at a time.

I just thought I'd let you know what I use.
I admit I was very afraid to use anything on my reef at first but was desperate.
This is not a medication and you can even use it once a week for maintenance.

kass

Aquabucket
04/21/2005, 10:20 AM
Basically most meds out there are antibacterial or a type of antibiotic. Many meds will have some form of side effect that can effect the bacteria levels in your system. One good side effect of some of the antibacterials is the removal of cyno-bacteria. These have been used for years in fish-only systems for this added benifit with good results.

The herbs you are using are not that uncommon and products like Melafix are herbal extracts ~ mainly tea.

My guess is your nitrates are high for some reason. Low to non-existant nitrates will do more for your fish in the long run and you should not need to dose any meds.

kass03
04/21/2005, 02:10 PM
Nitrates? we don't need no stinking nitrates :mixed:

Yes I admit I'm a nitrataholic.
You have to remember my 55 gallon has been running pretty much the same way for 21 years. My 150 about 8 years.

I get lazy sometimes and don't make water changes like I should.
I have more problems in my 150 because I can make a 30-40 gallon water change and it doesnt help much but I'm working on it.

I don't use this stuff all the time but it's nice to have if I need it.
My blue hippo would get ich when the temp would raise in the summer but none of the other fish got it and it always went away.
You would have to read the pamphlet about this stuff. It's some kind of nontoxic drug alternative.

kass

jmkarcz
04/22/2005, 07:26 PM
Kass,
This will make me unpopular, but I'm there already. Just like the ARMY's joke about a fresh change of underwear, "...you change with you.... and you change with you...."

My 300 is very lightly populated, so, I siphon my water from the 40 gal (6 tank system) to the drain, but refill from the 300 gallon right next door to it. Then the 300 gal gets fresh water about every week. I found that my water chemestry has been doing leaps and bounds better. Different systems have different problems - different nutrients are being used, and water is always being flushed... I seem to go through about 30 gal at a change, and every couple weeks, I skip the multi system in favor of flushing the grunge from the 300.

hth.

Jason

(ever notice how a slightly over weight male will find an easier way of doing things by exerting less energy.)