07/10/2000, 11:21 PM
But, does the government still consider it a vegetable? :confused:

Dwayne

Staceon
07/11/2000, 10:14 AM
Heinz's old red standby goes green
By Kristen Hays
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- In an uncertain world, there always seemed to be a few things you could count on: the sky being blue, grass growing green and ketchup pouring out red.

But the world seems a little less certain today after a jolt from Heinz: The company so thick into ketchup its own logo is red is introducing the unthinkable -- green ketchup.

"Green is going to be a shocker for a lot of adults. But kids don't have those hang-ups," said Casey Keller, the point man on a worldwide push to reintroduce ketchup as a hip part of everyday meals for H.J. Heinz Co.

The new green ketchup tastes just like the old red stuff, even if it is the color of spinach. Company executives are hoping its unexpected color and plastic bottle, which squirts a stream so thin kids can draw with it, will pack in the fans.

"The core idea is to give kids more control and fun over their food," Keller said.

Kids do, after all, eat more than half of all ketchup in the United States, he said.

The 131-year-old food company last year embarked on a new ketchup campaign after its share of the U.S. ketchup market dropped to about 43 percent in the late 1990s. Rather than going after adults who buy the ketchup, Heinz targeted teens, pitching it during breaks in shows like "Dawson's Creek," "Party of Five" and on MTV.

Heinz market share rose to 51 percent, and last month the company announced a 5 percent increase in profits for the fourth quarter, due in part to increased ketchup sales.

The new color in its thin-stream bottle is just the latest push.

"We wanted to create something where that bottle is pulled out of the fridge more often," Keller said.

Heinz's research with young focus groups found kids would like to see ketchup in some color other than red, so researchers cooked up several varieties.

They tried blue but settled on deep green because "it has a little more kitchen logic," Keller said.

Tomatoes do come in both red and green. Of course, getting deep green also takes a little food dye.

To facilitate ketchup art for kids, the hourglass squeeze bottle was the answer. It gives kids an easy grip with both hands and the cap that releases the thin stream, like icing for cakes, said Heinz spokeswoman Deb Magness.

"Kids really have a desire to make mealtime more enjoyable, and this enhances the control and fun factor," she said.

The company also added Vitamin C to encourage parents to buy it.

John McMillin, a food analyst with Prudential Securities in New York, said the product illustrates the company's effort to be innovative, particularly with an established product.

"It will certainly sell on St. Patrick's Day," he said. "They're trying to keep the product contemporary to a new generation."

But red or green, it's all ketchup to Timothy Hanz, 10, of Pittsburgh. He jazzed up the traditional picnic fare at a photo shoot for the new green ketchup. It will be in stores by October at a price about 20 cents higher than the red stuff.

"A lot of kids are going to love it," Timothy said. "I told one guy about it, and he's like, 'No way!' I'll draw stuff with it and eat a lot more ketchup."

billsreef
07/11/2000, 07:44 PM
I don't know about the govt. but I allways considered it a vegatable as a kid, still do, hehe :)

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

horge
07/11/2000, 09:18 PM
I will buy some tomorrow and try it :D

Sea Dragon
07/12/2000, 02:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The new green ketchup tastes just like the old red stuff, even if it is the color of spinach<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was rather hoping it would taste different, like tomatillos instead of tomatos. Anyone ever tried green salsa?

Dave
07/12/2000, 04:17 PM
It should be Blue.
My kid wont use Green Ketchup.

bmw
07/12/2000, 08:54 PM
I bet when you get married Staceon you won't have time to post this, uh, stuff. :D
b.

Dwayne
07/12/2000, 09:38 PM
Thinking about this a little more, Why didn't they go with the three primary colors?

With the primary colors, kids could mix the three colors into any color they want. Now we're talking Dr. Suess mealtime. :D

Dwayne

Staceon
07/13/2000, 07:54 AM
bmw,

I just need a new job. :)

Raszagil
07/13/2000, 09:14 AM
ewww.

Aquaman
07/13/2000, 09:34 AM
Now what they should have done was make it yellow and started a good war on mustard. Or how about white like mayonase, or red, white and blue and introduced it on July 4th