PDA

View Full Version : Mating dance.

Timothy McCandless
01/18/2002, 11:33 PM
I have to say this was the coolest thing I have seen yet in my reef tank and boy am I sorry for being to cheap to buy a digital camcorder. My 3-stripe damsels had been playing and darting around all morning. Suddenly around 11:30am they starting swimming in a tight circle with each other. They were rubbing up against each other. Then they moved to a powerhead which happens to be turned off. They continued the same swimming motion. Then they started rubbing themselves up against the powerhead, taking turns back and forth. This went on for a good 25 minutes. I left the house and came back an hour later.

There are several (300 minimally if not twice that) clear eggs on the bottom of the powerhead. I am assuming that these eggs are fertile, because this particular pair has been producing babies consistantly for almost a year now.

I have yet to try and raise the fry. But, have now decided to give it a try. Since I don't have the set up for live cultures right now. I am considering using the Addison's larval food from Inland Aquatics. I'm not sure what to try as a second food though. So if you have any suggestions please let me know.

FMarini
01/21/2002, 10:09 PM
Tim:
i am not familar at all w/ damsel frey. If you can give me an approx size of the fry i can give yo some ideas of what possible foods.
Congrats w/ the breeding success
frank