PDA

View Full Version : I finally tested my water today.

chris_h
01/18/2002, 06:49 PM
I measured my tanks alkalinity for the first time ever today. It was 132 ppm. What is the correct alkalinity in ppm? I can only find the correct alkalinity in different scales other than ppm.

My other question has to do with calcium. I use to add nothing to my water and only do water changes. I have been adding kalkwasser for one week now so i thought I should start measuring my water once per week until it is good. When adding Kalk, if the alkalinity level is good can you assume the calcium level is also good, or do I need to order an additional test kit.

chris_h
01/18/2002, 11:25 PM
I think I found the answer to my first question.
50ppm=1meq/l=2.8dkh
132ppm/50=2.64 meq\l
2.64 times 2.8=7.392?

So now I just need to know if I can infer the calcium levels from the alkalinity levels.

Muttling
01/18/2002, 11:33 PM
Alkalinity and calcium are not linked to each other so if you have specimens that require calcium, you will need to test for it.

I should note that the maximum level of calcium that can be in the water and the alkalinity are related so they are not totally independent of one another.

Alk of 2.6 meq/l is close to natural sea water (NSW), but it is a little on the low side for what most aquarium folks keep. To add a better degree of stability, most of us keep 3-5 meq/l (mostly running in the high 3's.)

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/19/2002, 02:04 PM
Chris:

<< When adding Kalk, if the alkalinity level is good can you assume the calcium level is also good, or do I need to order an additional test kit.>>

Actually, I infer both alkalinity and calcium from the pH.

In a stable tank, you can do as you suggest. In a new tank, I wouldn't. After a while, however, you can, if careful. Just measure the calcium once in a while to make sure it hasn't drifted, and never add any alk or calcium besides the limewater.

I agree with Muttling that right now you should get a calcium kit.