PDA

View Full Version : Quarintine Tank questions

SultanOfSushi
04/17/2005, 01:48 PM
I need some perameters for a solid healthy quar tank, IE tank size, skimmer size and useful pieces to have. What will do the biological filtration. I have had many types of fish( mostly freshwater) and had a great 200 gallon reef a few years back. I have seen on here that the QT is vitial to success, I would agree, especially with having a busier life now then back when I had the 200 gallon reef. What I am looking for is a good set of guidelines for where it should be, what it should have in it and what I should be making sure is a "MUST HAVE" for it. THis is a great hobby and one which I am sharing with my girlfriend for her first time and we have not had the greatest of luck with cycling nor fishes. Any assistance is great!! Thanks again..Keep reefs safe, build a rock!

dgasmd
04/17/2005, 02:15 PM
Depends what you want to quarintine. If it is corals and such, I would use a tank 20-30g with a sump. Put the LR in the sump and leave the tank completely empty, so if you get parasites, flatworms and such they can't hide on the rock for the next coral to get it. You will need some MH there too just for the coral or put the tank some place where sunlight will hit it daily. If it is for fish, I would do the very same thing and disconnect the sump fromt he tank if you have to treat the fish. Once done with the treatment, you can get the fish out temporarily, drain all the water out and rinse the tank well. Fill it back up with saltwater and start the return pump again to allow the sump to be used again.
4-6 weeks is pretty good for a quarintine routine, coral or fish.