PDA

View Full Version : Lawncare question

hesaias
07/02/2000, 11:52 PM
Mark your yard yourself!

------------------
Scott

My Reefscape (http://www.angelfire.com/on3/hesaias/index.html)

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

Staceon
07/03/2000, 07:40 AM
Anybody know if there is a product out there to combat dog pee turning the grass brown? If not a suggustion how to limit/stop it?

signu459
07/03/2000, 08:11 AM
Staceon,

Yes there are a several products on the market that will stop a dog dead in his tracks.

The two name brands that come to mind immediately are Winchester and Remmington. If the dogs are of the larger variety I would go for the lower guage models, they are more powerful. This may seem a bit odd but trust me on it, use the bird shot. Yes I now you are trying to get rid of dogs but the bird shot will work just fine. If it doesn't you can move up to the Buck shot. I don't think that a Dog shot is available on the market yet.

HEHE

Really I don't know of anything that will do what your looking for.

[This message has been edited by signu459 (edited 07-03-2000).]

Ninong
07/03/2000, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Staceon:
Anybody know if there is a product out there to combat dog pee <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pampers

------------------
Irrational Exuberance!

Q-ball
07/03/2000, 08:40 AM
I noticed that dogs seemed to get irritated when hit by multiple paintballs from my marker. If that fails, my 9mm holds 12 rounds :D HTH

Q!!!

------------------
Got tired of the last signature, and haven't
come up with a new one yet, so go read something else
=;o)~

Dwayne
07/03/2000, 09:00 AM
Staceon - Aside from the above mentioned options, which are good for the nieghbor's dog ;), there are products sold just for such occasions. Something like apply to brown spot and your yard will be better than ever. Never had any luck with the stuff. Just try to water the spots heavy as soon as you can.

Dwayne

Agu
07/03/2000, 01:03 PM
Staceon, You have to manage the ph of the soil to keep the urine from killing your grass. (no kidding) Urine is very acidic and you neutralise the acid with gardening lime. Once you have the brown spots ths grass is already dead, but if you don't treat it the grass will not grow back from the edges to cover the spot. Sprinkle lime on the spot and water, digup the spot,add more lime, and water again. Then you're ready to seed, sod, or let the grass naturally spread. If it's not your dog wrecking your lawn an electric fencer is a very persuasive technique to keep neighborhood dogs away or train your dog to stay in a certain part of your yard. I did this in april and no more spots (or dogs)bothering me

reefmanic
07/03/2000, 02:01 PM
If it's your dog,try brewers yeast.I heard a little added to thier food will help.

If it's not your dog,call animal control.

Abn Rgr75th
07/03/2000, 02:22 PM
Only let male dogs urinate in your yard. No problems then.

HTH
Abn

reefmanic
07/03/2000, 06:07 PM
Not true,my female rottie really did a number on my yard and so did my female shepard.

You can also put down gardening lime down prior to the act,just use a rotary spreader per instructions.This will also benefit the grass as repeated applications of reg. fertalizer tend to acidify the soil and prevent fertilizer uptake.I'd still try the brewers yeast or ask a vet for a more detailed recommendation.

What I ended up doing was switching brands of food to science diet and it seems to have stopped.

Abn Rgr75th
07/04/2000, 07:49 AM
I'm a little confused as to what you are saying is not true. If it's my statement of only letting male dogs urinate in the yard then I believe I lost something in the translation of your post. ;)

Abn

reefmanic
07/04/2000, 11:33 PM
Abn,

Naw,I missed it :o.For some reason,my mind and hands have thier own agenda.One of these day's I'll make the connection :D.

Either way though,a male or female dog can brown out a lawn.I don't know for sure what causes it but I have used the lime and a neighbor has the brewers yeast.

I ended up changing diets which was easier and worked and my neighbor has "less" burn marks.

Abn Rgr75th
07/05/2000, 05:33 AM
NP. But everything I have seen says only female dogs can do any real damage to your lawn. Now I'm sure if you pump some Louisianna hot sauce into your male dog through IV's then he can do a world of hurt on your grass ;) So I would imagine what they eat does play a role.

I may have it backwards...could be the male and not the female...who knows.

Abn

JSM
07/05/2000, 08:45 AM
There are products that you put in your dogs food that work, sorta. They come in a pill form and we seem to have less spots, although they're not gone entirely. I've also heard of tomato juice on your dogs food will stop it. BTW, our dog is a male.

Janna

Staceon
07/05/2000, 10:16 AM
Both of the dogs are ours, both males. Thanks for the suggustions so far.

Maybe we could find a use for skimmate after all.heheheheh

I was maybe thinking of using a patch of grass that kind of sits out of the way as my "sod" farm. So if more brown spots appear, just take up sod from there, replace, and than put seed down where I pulled up sod?

Anybody else?