PDA

View Full Version : LARK - Lincoln Area Reef Keepers

nebraskareef
04/15/2005, 01:52 PM
Hello Lincolnites!

I've been kicking around the idea of starting a reef club for the guys in Lincoln for awhile now and was trying to gauge interest to see if I should proceed with it or not. I know there isn't alot of us here on RC but I know Fishworld and The fish store would let us post fliers.

Hopefully we can start a club of our own - trade frags, split shipping, talk fish and really just have a local support system in case of unforseen issues with reefkeeping in general.

I'm all ears guys!

Daniel

CH
04/15/2005, 03:16 PM
I'm all for it, except I'm in Omaha!
It is Lincoln "area" right!?!?
Sounds like a great idea anyway!

WedThursFri
04/15/2005, 05:41 PM
Proceed!!! With a couple of well-placed flyers like you mentioned, I think this would take off. The "Lincoln Scene" needs it. I have this vision of a Lincoln store with non-brown corals..... but maybe an organized, active club comes first. Great idea.

nebraskareef
04/15/2005, 08:50 PM
Well, Its still in the early phase, but I have been in the preliminary planning stages of starting a small SW only fish store here in Lincoln.

I mean think about it, Fish world doesn't really sell coral, he's got a few in his display tank, but $50 for mushrooms? Get real! The fish store really is our only other place. The same exact corals, in the same exact color every single week. Not to mention they are also overpriced. They've got some orange acro frags right now, FRESHLY FRAGGED, not even encrusted...They told me $29! I asked if they could do any better, of course they couldn't! It kinda upsets me that they would go no lower on the frags. I've spent alot of money in there, and the guys ALWAYS talk to me when I stop in. I'm not saying because I spend alot that automatically entitles me to a special price, but jesus, these frags weren't even encrusted, not to mention I was spending $70 already during this visit.

now I'm rambling again about prices!

But it comes down to this. I know I can get a better selection for the same, or lower price than they are already charging. They must have a really crappy wholesaler and no clue where to find a better one. I think I could really dominate the Reef market here in Lincoln and the surrounding communites, Omaha excluded, but I doubt you Omaha guys ever even come check out whats availible down here.

On another note, There is a DEAD red brain in the "29.99" tank that some guy already paid for to pick up sunday I beleive. It was dead the first time I saw it, and now they sold it to some guy....What a bunch of pricks.

I'm considering never shopping there again, However I love the fact that they have used tanks/equipment all the time. I love me some used goods!

WEDTHURSFRI- Jeremy tells me you just set up your tank. I'd love to come check it out, see how far you've gotten and all that. PM me, we can get together and talk about LARK.

CHRIS- Anyone who wants to participate in Nebraska is welcome with open arms. I've heard some pretty good things that OMS has done in the past, and doubt the 10 of us in Lincoln could compete, Scott Michael does live a mile from me though...We'll see!

CH
04/15/2005, 09:16 PM
Wow, I didn't realize he still lived in the area! That's kinda cool, the tank I currently have set up apparently used to be his! 75 gal Oceanic RR.
I just recently joined the OMS, (back in Oct) and there hasn't been much happening. It is kind of in a state of flux. Mitch has taken it back over, but I think it needs new members and more interest from people. The 3 meetings I've been to averaged about 15-20 people. I know there are more than that in the area.
There have been a couple of tank tours too, which have been nice. I'm up for any chance to meet some local reefers.

avshockey311
04/16/2005, 05:56 PM
I would be interested, even though Im about 3 hours west in North Platte. We come to Lincoln a lot. I agree The Fish Store has the same thing every time we go in there also. Here a while back, the bowfront tank had so much ich it made me sick. I just wish I could get up there when their shipment comes in. I am usually there on Saturday or Sunday so everything is pretty well picked over. Where is FishWorld?

nebraskareef
04/17/2005, 12:57 AM
Fishworld is pretty much on A and 48th. It's actually on Cotner blvd. in "the piedmont shoppes". Drop me a pm before you come, I can show you where it's at, I live only a mile from it.

WedThursFri
04/18/2005, 11:17 PM
It's official....once the sweet avatar is made, there's no turning back.

nebraskareef
04/19/2005, 05:15 AM
Hahaha, Tis true my friend.

Ever go get that midas? I'm fighting the wicked crud in my chest/throat/head. Its horrible!

Hopefully I'll have some more info on Lark for you guys in a few days.

Mercutio
04/19/2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by WedThursFri
It's official....once the sweet avatar is made, there's no turning back.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WedThursFri
04/19/2005, 12:33 PM
I haven't had time to get the Midas yet......at that price it will probably be there for a few more days. :spin1:

Hope you feel better soon.

rjj175
04/21/2005, 10:00 AM
Daniel,
I'd participate in a LARK.
I might even want to participate in your fish store.

nebraskareef
04/21/2005, 10:13 AM
Jeremy, we'll definatly have to get together and do a little brainstorming sometime soon. I also wanted to ask you again where you were getting your water. I think super savers RO needs servicing!

We might as well get rich while we're at it (fish store) LOL

Willie41
04/23/2005, 05:20 PM
I would be interested in joining if you start up a club even thought we live in Omaha.

nebraskareef
11/03/2006, 02:45 AM
This LARK thing is happening guys, it really is. We've got a forum on http://www.linomareefs.com . I plan to post the general info in the next day or two, so please check it out if you are interested!

Daniel

bohlke
11/03/2006, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a great idea

jbittner
11/03/2006, 06:14 PM
When you get closer to open your store I would be happy to help. I just opened a coffee shop so I know some tips. I also know some great distributers out of Florida and California. I would love to see even an acceptable store in Nebraska. I have been Kicking around the idea of a large vat frag tank in the basement of my store---maybe this could make me finally do it.

nebraskareef
11/03/2006, 07:15 PM
The whole "coral store" thing is really on the farrrrrrr back burner at this point guys, don't read too far into this- It's something that I would eventually like to do, be it direct sale of frags from growout troughs to supplying lfs. I'm at LEAST a year out before even writing up a business plan.

but we need a club, like yesterday!

alanmorehead
11/04/2006, 01:21 PM
LARK sounds good to me. Count me in.

wademcarthur
11/06/2006, 04:03 AM
Sounds like a good idea guys. I'm in Alliance, 5 hours away, but surely there are people in Scottsbluff?

I left my tank at my in-laws for a year. What a disaster. All but two fish died. I'll get it back going.

If any of you have frags available, I'll pay a price for them and come get them if you have enough. I'm into SPS any variety. Let me know. I really want to ge this tank going again and will never ever leave it with the in-laws again.

Also, my tank itself is in bad shape and needs replaced. I'm looking for something 75 gal or bigger, but no too bigger. Definetly under 120 gal or so. Let me know if you know of anyone needing to get rid of one.

Glad to see the Huskers looked like a real football team this Sat. Was a good game!

Looking forward to replies. Thanks in advance for the help.

Wade McArthur
Alliance, NE

Aaron143
11/13/2006, 07:48 PM
Count me in!