PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of dumb laws.......

Staceon
07/02/2000, 11:15 PM
Two Greyhound drivers abandon buses, passengers at Nebraska truck stop
Knight Ridder News Service

OGALLALA, Neb. --Two Greyhound drivers parked their buses at a truck stop and left without saying a word to the 97 passengers.

Company spokeswoman Lynn Brown said the drivers left Friday night because of a new federal law that limits the hours they can work a day.

The drivers are allowed to drive 10 hours and work a total of 15 hours. They apparently ran out of time and by law had to go off duty, Brown said.

"We try to forecast when drivers will run out of hours and lay over passengers at a terminal location if possible," Brown said. "Apparently we didn't do that Friday night."

One bus arrived at the Ogallala truck stop at about 7 p.m. with 50 passengers. The other bus, with 47 riders, arrived at about 11:30 p.m.

Heavy holiday traffic may have delayed the buses, Brown said. She could not explain why the drivers didn't explain the situation to passengers.

Replacement drivers were called in from Cheyenne, Wyo., and the passengers were back on the road early Saturday morning.

reefmanic
07/03/2000, 02:08 PM
I don't think that's a dumb law.I think the company failed on thier end.
The law is there to help ensure arriving alive and I think they did, however inconveniencing it was.
I work 16hr shifts and it takes a toll on ones judgement especially after 3 days in a row of them.Sometimes I wonder how I managed to drive home.

Dilbert
07/03/2000, 02:12 PM
I kinda like this law.
When I was 14 my friend`s dad drove an 18-wheeler and over the Christmas holidays we were invinted to "tag along" with my friends dad on a trip to Canada. First he had to get the "yellow pills".
This man drove from Alabama to Canada and back again in three days without sleep. I was never so glad to get out of a vehicla in my life.

I like this law. There is nothing more scary than a large vehicle being driven by a tried or drugged out individual.

[This message has been edited by Dilbert (edited 07-03-2000).]