PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone in Tucson...

OasisTF
04/15/2005, 03:03 AM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone in Tucson keep Pico tanks?

Hector
Oasis Tropical Fish

ghostbear29
04/15/2005, 11:05 AM
Not yet but im working on one. I was originally thinking of a aqua vase then Im worried to much evap. So I need something with a lid...Pets mart got some small(read tiny) hexagons that would be awesome on a night stand. Just need to work some things out though.

ghostbear29
04/15/2005, 11:07 AM
Also you can check out www.nanotank.com , they have a pico section with pics so you can get an idea.

OasisTF
04/15/2005, 11:24 AM
I prefer the Red Sea aquavase ..evap is not as bad all you had to do is put it on a dripper or add rodi every 3rd day....the lights are good and so is the filters....I have several Pico at home ranging from 1/4 gallon and up to a gallon....What size are you working on?

Hector
Oasis Tropical Fish

ghostbear29
04/16/2005, 03:16 PM
Hey hector,
lemme just start by saying it was a pleasure to meet you and I love that purple psuedochromis! As for the red sea evap is bad in my house as in my 16 gal. losing about 1/2 a gal a day. In my opinion that would be significant in a 3/4 gal. vase. Unless you could prove other wise. What I was planning is sticking some LS with rock rubble from my tank along with some zoos and possibly a mushroom and such to start out. I shouldn't have to be cycled due to the water and such coming from my tank. My biggest concern would be temp and evap with salinity fluctuations. Sound correct? I do like the light set up also. Maybe you and I could Iron out some of the bugs and have a neat little desktop setup I would like to look at! Also would you consider coming down on the price? Or would you lose a profit. Don't mind me for asking.:) Lemme know what you think. I would also like to get my fiance' involved. She loves her zoos and shrooms.

OasisTF
04/17/2005, 01:56 PM
Ghostbear

All my prices have changed....PLEASE visit the store.

on the tank there is lots of things you can do to minimize those concerns. IE

Fan and canopy
Automatic water toper w/ float switch
Dripper using a bottle
etc

Hector
Oasis Tropical Fish

Hector

Oasis Tropical Fish

ghostbear29
04/17/2005, 11:33 PM
sounds cool, my fiance and I are at work over at Marana. If we get a chance we will stop by. thanks..

ghostbear29
04/18/2005, 06:29 PM
Well, I stopped by and ended up with a Pico! It is a candy blue aqua vase from hector. really cool little tank! Right now I am running it with just some aragonite and crushed florida coral mix along with some rock rubble. Hector convinced me to let it sit for atleast 3 days to get rid of any die off or fluctuations in a nitro cycle. I do like the light. I plan on putting some zoos and also this ricordia that needs some personal TLC. Just wont fully open up. I was able to get some egg crate and great ideas also for a refuge. I will try to get some pics after things settle down and are proving to be stable.

Tucson_Phish
04/19/2005, 10:18 PM
Tell us about your refuge idea... I'm still struggling with mine

OasisTF
04/19/2005, 10:49 PM
The filter will be turned into a fuge....:)

Hector
Oasis Tropical Fish

ghostbear29
04/20/2005, 10:18 AM
he is right. As of right now, I threw some LR into the filter. hopefully I will throw some chaeto on top. I think it is getting enough light for it to grow but I would still like to upgrade some lighting on the thing. Havent figured out a lid for the thing yet. Stopped by HD and got really ****ed off and left. Nothing worthwhile or clean looking. Need to think this thru.

OasisTF
04/20/2005, 03:29 PM
Try a hobby shop and look in thier lighting section.

Hector
Oasis Tropical Fish

Tucson_Phish
04/21/2005, 12:24 AM
What type of lid are you looking for...

I was at columbus glass today they do all kinds of custom glass work

ghostbear29
04/21/2005, 08:49 AM
glass would be cool but definetely too expensive. Also, the pico is acrylic. I think an acrylic hood or lid would be cool. Do they do acrylic also? got some more rock in the tank now. Looks way cool. Also added some snails that I got at OasisTF. They are definately not your same ol' astrea! Got a *****in Ramshorn and a snakeskin looking little dude. Along with some nassarius deluxe. really colorful.

ghostbear29
05/02/2005, 04:01 PM
Well, I added the green Ricordia, great specimen from Hectors. Also got a zoo frag from zach and looks just awesome. I hope to add some pics so you can get an idea from this. Also, Hector, I need to know how to cut this light down a few inches..Help. Mind if I bring it by later this week?

OasisTF
05/02/2005, 09:43 PM
Bring it in....no problem

Hector
[violation]

ghostbear29
05/04/2005, 12:43 PM
well update to the pico experience...the animals are fine but Hec and I managed to destroy the light. Thanks for the new one! :( I really dont have a problem with evap and I figured that if I go out of town, I will just plop the pico(acclimate of course) into the nano. Cool. Still working on a way to shorten the light. I do not have a dremel. Any ideas? This is a complex idea for a ocean on your desk!

OasisTF
05/04/2005, 01:24 PM
We are still working on something economical, reliable and easy....The only solution I have found is to expensive....As soon as we are done I will post the pic of our retrofit hood for the aquavase.

Hector
[violation]