PDA

View Full Version : Picked Up a Lawnmower Blenny

JasonF
01/17/2002, 10:37 PM
Was looking for snails at the Reef Shop today, and came home with a Lawnmower Blenny. Seems to be doing well. He was eating in the store, and continued within an hour of being set free in the tank. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow, but he moves around alot between perches. Be a challenge.:D

JasonF
01/18/2002, 09:40 AM
Here he is, quite well camoflaged.

http://www.jfreeland.net/images/goby.jpeg

Kyle McClain
01/18/2002, 10:28 AM
they are fun ones to watch

rldavis
01/18/2002, 11:38 AM
I LOVE blennies....They're what I consider personality fish. :D We've had a couple, but for some reason they just didn't do well in our tanks, so now I just wish we had one....:( Hope yours gives you many hours of entertainment.

Becky

Don Davis
01/18/2002, 01:19 PM
I think ours was starved out by the thousands of little snails in our tanks. There just wasn't enough algae for him to eat and we couldn't get him to take any prepared foods. They are great fish with huge personallities, but it's hit or miss on the feeding.

JasonF
01/18/2002, 04:17 PM
I think ours was starved out by the thousands of little snails in our tanks. There just wasn't enough algae for him to eat and we couldn't get him to take any prepared foods. They are great fish with huge personallities, but it's hit or miss on the feeding.

I was pretty leery of buying him, what I realy wanted was some cerith snails. I'd like something that can get a start on my post cycle hair algae bloom. There's plenty for him to eat at this point. I just ordered the 9 for $99 kit from IPSF, so we'll see how that goes. Their snails are supposed to breed like mad, so Don won't be the only one having to give some away.:D

Little Reefer Boy
01/19/2002, 01:29 AM
Jason,

If you don't mind, how much was the blenny at Reef Shop? I picked up a really nice one a couple of days ago from Crystal Clear for $13. I missed out of a really nice one that had a touch of red striping, but this one has a nice set of turquoise dots along its side. He has already done a great job....hundreds of his kiss marks all over the back glass.

Grant

JasonF
01/19/2002, 09:08 AM
I think it was about $22, but he's pretty good size. My first one so I don't have a good reference to judge from though.