PDA

View Full Version : Info overload

CastleRock
01/17/2002, 08:25 PM
WoW I have been keeping fresh water fish for years, and now have been bit bad by the reef tank bug. so much lighting info to cram into my head. we have VHO we have CP we have MH we have NO, moonlight, sunup/sundown and the list goes on and on and on LOL. my head hurts! trying to do a DIY hood system but man the lighting opt are endless!
I will be setting up a 125 gal AGA 22" tall 18"W and 72" long
this is what Im thinking. 3 6500K 250W Iwasaki MH's spaced out the 72" of the tank and along with that 2 VHO lights on the sides of the MH with small bulbs for moonlight. this will not be that hard to build for me but how far up from the water do they need to be? Im thinking a hood of 18" tall do the lights need covers? do they need covers with UV blocking? ahhhhhhhhhhh My head hurts
am I headed in the right dir? or has the little red train jumped the tracks?

you guys gonna be sooooooooooo sick of me and my endless ????????'s :eek1:

Doug

wanecek
01/18/2002, 01:53 AM
I would say that sounds like a good start. The 3 6500k bulbs and the vho lights should allow you to keep almost anything in your aquarium. If you got 3 400 watters then you could keep any coral or clam in your aquarium. I would ask other members how many watts of vho actinics they used to offset the 6500k bulbs. Sometimes the 6500k bulbs can look a little yellow. Plus, it matters if you want a white looking tank or a more blueish.

The 18" high hood is a nice height. With this high of an hood you should be able to raise your halides if they are new and lower them as they get older. Most new lights start at around 12" to 14" and then you can lower them to 10" to 12" when they get older. I would not lower them than 10".

The moon light effect is nice.

No, you do not need a light cover. Regular mogul 6500k halide bulbs already have the necessary uv protection around the bulb itself. The only lights that need glass with uv protection below the bulbs is the double ended hqi bulbs.

Believe it or not I researched and researched and researched a lot before I finally bought the system I wanted and I still had doubts until I finally got it up and running. I still worry a little. I guess I won't be fully satisfied with my lights until I see the look and the growth of my corals. Lights have to be the toughest decision you will make about your aquarium.

I hope I helped.

Mike

CastleRock
01/18/2002, 07:36 AM
Thanks Mike
yes that does help :) at least I know now im not off to much. beleave it or not I have lost sleep over this LOL Im still a ways off of getting the lights, I have to do this slow and a little at a time $$$ My kids like to eat hehe

next ???'s coming soon :p

Doug :bum:

CastleRock
01/18/2002, 07:50 AM
Oh yea if any one has any used stuff please let me know, I have tons of f/w junk but this is my first salt tank so I need all the help I can get :) Picking up my SD sand Sat so that is the first step Thanks Karin! :D

now what am I gonna do with that 40 w uv I have lol

Doug:bum:

SeaMatt Nematocyt
01/18/2002, 12:38 PM
Put the 40 over a refugium

Matt

Castle Rock Reef
01/29/2002, 12:08 PM
Doug,

I have some stuff if you are interested. Not for quite the size of tank you are looking for but it may work in a or short term.

Jim

CastleRock
01/29/2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks Jim
YGM

CJK
01/30/2002, 01:22 AM
Doug,

The next meeting is going to be at my house and I have a 125gal just like yours. And by looking at my system you can get some ideas. I run 3 6500K 250W Iwasaki MH's spaced out over 72" with 4-96watt PC's blues to offset the yellow cast. I went with the PC's because the old lighting system was 8-96watt PC's (4-blues & 4-Daylights ). I just used them to offset the price of the new lights. But later down the line I will switch to VHO's

Chris