PDA

View Full Version : Support the Local Fish stores

Kyle McClain
01/17/2002, 07:52 PM
I would like everyone to keep this in mind when purchasing livestock and other items. Our club needs to maintain a good relationship with the local stores in order for the hobby to grow in our area. I was recently infomed of an incident in one of the local stores that was well........... just wrong. A customer was looking at some animals at the store and was going to purchase them untill they were told by another customer in the shop that they could buy it online cheaper. I am sorry to say it was someone active in our club. As a result relations between our club and the LFS are to say the least strained. Furthermore driving paying customers out of local buisness is a good way to have even fewer choices. Please be mindfull of this when shoping localy. We will never get anywhere as a club without the support of the local LFS stores.

I would prefer that everyone not ask me or anyone else who the individuals involved were. It does not matter at this point. From now on lets put our best foot forward and build our club in a way that benifits everyone.

My apologies if this is a bit harsh but we must be carefull or our efforts will be all for not.

Kyle

JasonF
01/17/2002, 10:09 PM
Another way of looking at it, is you get to see what you buy. If you can't find livestock at the LFS that you want, see if they will order it. The Reef Shop is going to get some Cerith snails and a Fighting Conch in for me, so I don't have to order them in. They also have told me they will get in the Wrasse I want later on. Aquariums in Edmond, has also offered to order in what I want, so think about that before you click that mouse :D .

Colin
01/17/2002, 10:43 PM
You mean it's cheaper online? Who woulda thought? :D

I'll respect your wishes about not naming names, but may I ask which store it was?

--Colin

Kyle McClain
01/17/2002, 10:50 PM
Colin

Under the circumstances I just don't think it would be prudent for me to say.

Kyle

Colin
01/18/2002, 07:27 AM
OK.

Jason, if they really do get that fighting conch in for you, let me know. I'd like a couple too.

--Colin

DrkShadow
01/18/2002, 05:34 PM
I'd rather get locally too if they carried more things. If they have to order it, it's no different then us ordering online IMO. Especially for supplies, good lord. I looked for Powerheads a one of the LFS, it was 2.5x as much as premium. If it was a little more competitive, I might consider spending a few $ extra but 2.5x plus tax is just crazy IMO. I'm just a poor boy :mad:

Kyle McClain
01/18/2002, 06:09 PM
DrkShadow

I don't think we should buy eveything from them just because. And your right they need to maitain resonable prices, and some things at the LFS store here are simply marked up too high for it to make sense buying those items there. However when you can buy local please do. Futhermore it's in our best interest not direct other customers away from the local LFS stores. They will be the places we garner new members.

Have a good weekend

Colin
01/18/2002, 06:17 PM
:eek1: I don't know what the deal is with powerheads. They are dirt cheap online, but pretty pricey locally. That is one of the few items that you can mail order by itself, pay shipping, and still come out ahead.

FWIW, livestock is another matter. I just can't see ordering stuff sight unseen. I think it's more fun to pick and choose every single piece. I always get livestock locally, even if it is more expensive. Not to mention the support I've gotten over the years, especially during a recent tank crash.

Anyways, that's my $.02. :D

--Colin

DrkShadow
01/18/2002, 11:59 PM
I totally agree with that ostatesman. I would prefer local buying and have less chance of getting a dead versus shipping one

rldavis
01/19/2002, 04:24 PM
I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest. As this issue has been bothering me for quite awhile. I agree that it's important to support LFS's too. BUT....on the other hand they should recognize their niche and take advantage of it. I would never dream of trying to run someone out of a LFS, although I will give my $.02 if I believe they are getting bad advice. That's one pet peeve, but I won't get into that here....:) Back to the niche thing: It is just a fact that there are some things that are cheaper/better selection either online or even at PetSmart. Drygoods just aren't their strong point. And as far as paying $5.00 for a hermit crab, forget it.:eek: I do however, feel much more comfortable being able to actually see the specimin that I'm buying, and even though buying locally doesn't eliminate all of the risk, most fish/corals die during shipping. A lot of online stores have an "arrive alive" guarantee, but we must keep in mind that even though they guarantee the animals we still have to pay shipping on replacements. In most cases that's overnight shipping which can get pretty pricey.
So to sum it all up, I agree that it's VERY IMPORTANT to support our LFS, and if you don't like their selection you can always request they order something special. I know that some tend to get into a rut when ordering livestock but if you suggest something new most of them will be happy to accomodate. Now if we could just get more to start carrying SPS........hmmmmmmm

Take care all,
Becky

Kyle McClain
01/19/2002, 10:39 PM
Becky brings up some really great points. One I would like to touch on is the advice given by the stores. This is an area where if we can get the stores involved we can educate them and the consumers at the same time. This will benifit everyone.

By the way I have seen some acropora in 2 stores over the last two weeks. However both stores have them in systems that have lighting that just won't support an sps:(