PDA

View Full Version : Seining Location Debate

Bugs825
04/13/2005, 01:03 PM
We need to decide on a location that is easy for everyone to get to and has lots of grass and critters. I know of a place that is in Sarasota. It is South Lido beach. It is where the canoe trails are and is a huge flat. It has oysters, grass, sand, and mangroves. Parking will not be a problem.

I have fished here over a hundred times and know its good. But, I am also open to new places.

Lets hear some ideas,
Nathan

Bugs825
04/13/2005, 01:04 PM
There is also another great place on Manasota key here in venice. I understand that is a long drive for guys like James.

Nathan

myakkareef
04/13/2005, 02:48 PM
What date is the picnic???

Bugs825
04/13/2005, 03:43 PM
Saturday April 30th

myakkareef
04/13/2005, 03:49 PM
EEEWWWW, Tank move day / weekend....I will miss another:-(
This will be the last missed though because of moving and relocating. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel....And it ain't the train coming at me.

Bugs825
04/13/2005, 04:18 PM
I think Scott just doesn't like hanging out with us.

Scott, I promise, I'll shower before the meeting!

j/k good luck with the move

Nathan

cuncator
04/13/2005, 04:40 PM
Must... resist... urge to make bad joke about metal halide light at the end of the tunnel...

Might not be here, but like Nathan's idea of South Lido. Parking, picnic tables, etc. Plus you could seine either the Big Pass or flats side.

wahwoo
04/13/2005, 08:50 PM
Ill vote with Nathan on Lido.

Cooks has only one of each size net 8', 16' & 24' because they dont sell. They said they can get more within one weeks time if we call them to order.

We should take a head count for the meeting to know how many nets we need.

Pete Starostecki
04/13/2005, 09:14 PM
+1 for Lido. Plus, I'll have a nice canoe. Maybe Agu can buy it from me. ;)

Agu
04/13/2005, 11:33 PM
Whatever you decide is fine with me, I plan on being there.

Agu

AquAsylum
04/14/2005, 08:36 AM
Lido is good- let the newbies know what to contribute...

Timewise, the earlier the better for me- (I don't mean 6 a.m.) I have a dinner thing for work.

wahwoo
04/14/2005, 09:30 PM
OK

So far we have

Agu
Nathan
Scott and Wife
Cuncator
Pete
Laura and Husband
Dave and Cheryl

... and Agu has one net. Who else is joining us?

Brian?
Rocky?
Trapper?
James?
Ray?
Coyoteseven?
benter?
Stan?
multi striped 12?
Henry?

Let's here from you guys! Any one else I missed?

We will need some 5 gal buckets, Walmart battery air pumps, sein nets and refreshments/food.

I have another cannoe if we need it. Let me know. I have two buckets.

Dave

Agu
04/15/2005, 12:17 PM
Where ever we go has to be accessible on foot. Once we use a boat the fishing regs require a fishing license, as I understand the law.

Nathan, being a boater can you figure out when the tide would be lowest off Lido on the 30th ? As I recall Neil mentioned low tide exposes more area to seining.

Agu

cuncator
04/15/2005, 01:01 PM
Looking at the tide charts, it appears low tide is at 1:26... AM. That might be a little early for a meeting. Link:
http://isurus.mote.org:8080/locations/4495.html?y=2005&m=4&d=30

Also, I can get a pile of buckets if needed.

-Henry

Agu
04/15/2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Pete Starostecki
+1 for Lido. Plus, I'll have a nice canoe. Maybe Agu can buy it from me. ;)

So how much for the canoe ? Stop teasing me...........send me a pm.

Agu

benter
04/15/2005, 08:42 PM
hey everyone ..sounds like a lot of fun to me..I will probably be there..i have a 24' sein net and several buckets..someone will need to get me some directions though...thanks..benter

benter
04/15/2005, 09:57 PM
I'll have a couple of softie frags ..if anyone is interested, for the april meeting . Not sure what the name is..i will try and post a pic..you have first dibs trapper if you are interested..need to pay you back..nothing special, grows like crazy though

wahwoo
04/15/2005, 10:53 PM
So far we have

Agu
Nathan
Scott and Wife
Cuncator
Pete
Laura and Husband
Dave and Cheryl
benter

... and Agu has one net.
... Henry has buckets
... Dave and Cheryl have buckets
... benter has buckets and net #2 ... and mystery softie frags

Who else is joining us?

wahwoo
04/15/2005, 11:02 PM
Are there Bar-BQs by the picinic tables at Lido?

Bugs825
04/17/2005, 05:39 AM
Agu - The tide will be coming in but I don't think that will matter much at Lido. There is tons of grass flats and much of it is very shallow.

We have 2 options. We can go to the main Sout lido beach park and walk to the far east end of the beach. It is quite a walk but that is the area with the bar-b-q's.

OR

We could go to the canoe area that is much closer to the flats and oyster flats where I think most of the critters would be. I'm not sure if there is any grills there, but there are tables. It is far less crowded than the beach area.

Here is a map...don't laugh.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/3806/73180Lido1.jpg

wahwoo
04/17/2005, 05:30 PM
I will vote for

"the canoe area that is much closer to the flats and oyster flats where I think most of the critters would be."

Agu
04/17/2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by wahwoo
I will vote for

"the canoe area that is much closer to the flats and oyster flats where I think most of the critters would be."

Sounds like a plan! How about meeting there at 1 pm so people who want to come early or with the family can picnic, have lunch, and whatever, so it's a family outing?

Agu

myakkareef
04/18/2005, 07:30 AM
I see I was included, unfortionetly I will be moving my tank this weekend frommy moms back to its new home sweet home....

Trapper
04/18/2005, 07:57 PM
I'll vote for Lido. Thats a good place, and they do have grills at the far end. What time?

Bugs825
04/18/2005, 09:30 PM
Just a note.

The area I was talking about is not the main area at the far end of the key. Some of the people may think that it is at the end of Ben Franklin Dr. It is not. It is on a side street that runs next to the last motel on the LEFT as you are headed to the beach area. It is called Taft Dr. the parking area is strait ahead from Taft Dr.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone is on the same page.
check out the map.

Nathan

jerrymlr1
04/19/2005, 02:11 PM
I think Stephanie and I will be going. We have two kayaks we can bring.
Jerry

premnusb
04/21/2005, 06:47 AM
This sounds like a great time... Unfortunately I have a wedding to attend so I will have to bow out.. Have fun! I'm gonna hate missing it. Ben's got my seine net and I believe he's planning on attending. I'll tell him to post. Thanks for remembering us, Ray.

wahwoo
04/21/2005, 09:11 PM
So far we have

Agu
Nathan
Cuncator
Pete
Laura and Husband
Dave and Cheryl and Olivia
Ben
Jerry and Stephanie
Trapper

... and Agu has one net.
... Henry has buckets
... Dave and Cheryl have buckets
... Ben has buckets and net #2 ... and mystery softie frags

Scott and Wife - prior commitment
Ray - prior commitment

Who else is joining us?

Flame_Angel1
04/22/2005, 12:08 PM
ADD ME TO THE LIST IM GOING SEINGING TOO FOR BETTAS AND GOLDFISG.

Bugs825
04/22/2005, 12:48 PM
What's up with the betta person???
:confused:

Nathan

Bugs825
04/25/2005, 11:56 PM
Ok class get your pen and paper! j/k

Here we go with the directions to the park where we will be seining.

Take I-75 to Fruitville Rd

Take Fruitville Rd. as far as you can go West to US-41 AKA Tamiami Trail

Make a Left at the light onto US-41

Make a Right at the next light onto John Ringling Blvd

Go over our nice new fancy bridge

Then another smaller bridge to St. Armand's Key

Go around the traffic circle and look for Lido Beach sign directions(2nd right) now you are on Ben Franklin Dr.

Go past the main Lido Beach and make the last Right before to wooded area onto Taft Dr.

The road will curve to the left, but the park is straight ahead. On the map its in the green area. Also, see my other map in earlier post in this thread.

Its very simple but if you are afraid of getting lost pm me and I will give you my cell # to get you back on track. Or do a MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&address=Taft+Dr+and+Ben+Franklin+Dr.&city=sarasota&state=FL&zipcode=) for Taft Dr and Ben Franklin Dr.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/3806/73180mini-Directions.jpg

Good luck
Nathan

Trapper
04/26/2005, 08:33 PM
What time?

Bugs825
04/26/2005, 09:58 PM
Ummm.

I don't know if we set a time.

Nathan

cuncator
04/26/2005, 10:04 PM
Agu's email said 1 PM (just looked to double check)

wahwoo
04/28/2005, 06:11 AM
Did I share this link with all of you? Seining and Ornamental Collecting Rules:

http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm

The only things I see to watch out for are:
1) Any one who has lived in FL less than 6 months needs a lisence
2) If you collect from a boat you need a lisence.
3) Some one should call the Park to make sure they dont have any additional restrictions.

I think Parks with reefs would be more likely to have restrictions. These Parks seem to be active for fishing, but to cover all bases a call wouldnt hurt. The only thing I can think of is that they might have rules on large groups of people to stop busses, boat charters and commercial collecting.

Does any one have time to make the call? If you do, remember to get their names for the record. We should also bring along a copy of the State regs in that link.

Dave

Bugs825
04/28/2005, 08:30 AM
i'm on it

Nathan

Bugs825
04/28/2005, 10:19 AM
I found this really cool picture. The arrow is where the the last left turn is and the "X" marks the park.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/3864/73180mini-lidopic.jpg

Nathan

Bugs825
04/28/2005, 10:41 AM
I finally got a hold of someone in Parks & Recreation. She is going to check and see if there is any regulations that would prohibit us from collecting inside the park. I will let you all know when she gets back with me.

I also picked up a few large aquarium nets and convinced my wife and son to go.

Can't wait,
Nathan

AquAsylum
04/30/2005, 09:53 AM
Last minute question, I know, but did we figure out if there are any grills?

Trapper
04/30/2005, 04:56 PM
Hope you all did well. I had to work, boss went on honeymoon finally, after two years, and then we had two people quit so I was busy. Look forward to hearing how it went.

Pete Starostecki
05/03/2005, 11:02 PM
Man, no one posted a report yet?

The company was great, but we didn't catch much. I collected a bunch of minnows (my snapper ate three right away). The cool stuff I remember was a small puffer and a star fish. All the locals (everyone minus Agu?) expected the variety that the Carefree Learner dragged up. Most of our catch was seaweed. We all agreed that there wasn't much turtle grass around the park and there are either a)better grassy areas or b) the grass is out of season.

Oh, that lettuce-like macro lasted about 3 minutes in my tank! Everyone looks very fat now!

Bugs825
05/04/2005, 03:48 AM
mmmmm salad.....

I set up a 2 gallon hex For the puffer. It has a mini overflow and refugium. I'll post pics soon. The puffer was doing great today, hiding in the sand and swimming around. But, tonight when I got home, he is not as good. I really hope he pulls through, hes soooooo neat.

Nathan

AquAsylum
05/04/2005, 10:00 AM
Our lettuce didn't last long, but we had several little aiptasia on it, which was kind of neat.

Starfish is doing well and we still have 3 ghost shrimp. Those guys are really cool- I hope we get the mantis out before he gets to all of them.

One of the ceriths gave birth all over our front glass. We have about 20 teeney ceriths just hanging on- very cool, but too small for me to photograph.

As for my red and now itchy back...not so fun.

Agu
05/04/2005, 09:33 PM
Laura, I said we should go in before the sunburn :lol: .

Turnout was four native Sarasotans and me. They discussed what High School they went to while I wondered what retirement community I'm going to end up in :eek1: .

First lesson learned, Go at low tide it's a lot of work dragging a net at 4' of water.

Second lesson, wear sunscreen even on an overcast day.

Third lesson, why buy snails at the LFS ?

I kept one of the several Medusa worms we captured. It's doing fine in the sump. The mantis and rock anemone fought it out for one of the glass shrimp, mantis was the winner. ceriths and hermits are doing fine.

I have the net so if anyone wants to go seining lmk....

Agu

Trapper
05/05/2005, 05:00 PM
Sounds like it was fun though Huh? Agu whats a madusa worm?
And what kind of puffer did you find. Does this mean next month were there at low tide?

Agu
05/05/2005, 06:09 PM
Dr Rons post has a good pic in this thread,

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=550702&highlight=medusa+worm

Actually they look like snot on the seaweed when you sein them, and they're sticky like snot too :lol: .

Agu

Pete Starostecki
05/08/2005, 11:02 AM
I'll post my update. All 20 or so of those small fish mysteriously disappeared from the eel/snapper tank by Wednesday. The snapper took about 20 seconds to swallow the first 3. However, the puffer is in the same tank and is doing fine. I saw the snapper get about 6 inches away from the puffer, but he puffed right up saying "don't eff with me."