PDA

View Full Version : tank hits bottom

stanross
04/12/2005, 07:59 PM
I've got my 29g cycling at the end of about 8 weeks. I'm experiencing some brown and green algae around the tank and we've having guests over. I grab the sponge from the sink to touch it up. The next morning my two dansels and a small roach are floating. Boy, guess I blew it. My question now is: Is my water poisoned ? Do I start over with fresh water or do I dilute the water I have ? Also, does this mean my live sand is also gone ?

Thanks,
Stan

stanross
04/12/2005, 08:03 PM
I forgot to mention, I took the tank outside to clean it after transfering SW to another container and BOOM. A small crack along one of the edges goes from one side to the other of the back pane of glass. Can you say, "BAD DAY"!

Stan

wahwoo
04/12/2005, 09:28 PM
That sounds like a bad day.

If you want to start over quickly, ask someone with an established tank for some of their waste water. Use 1/4 new water and 3/4 of their established water. Throw in some LR and LS and fish. Presto! No cycle.

Keep the kitchen chemicals out. For $10 - $20 you can buy a magfloat cleaner to wipe the tank slime off in seconds.

Bugs825
04/13/2005, 03:15 AM
I have heard far too many bad stories about dish sponges wiping out whole tanks. Sorry to hear about that Stan. I have to agee with Wahwoo on the waste water idea. I did that for my mantis tank (50/50 water) and have coraline growing already. I did have some cycling but that might have been from the DIY LR. I'm not sure about the sand, but the water needs to be totally changed. Don't give up! Let me know if you need some of my established water or sand.

Good luck,
Nathan

Agu
04/13/2005, 10:15 AM
Stan,

Sorry to hear about your disaster :( .

Your kitchen sponge was probably treated with an anti-fungal or anti-bacterial agent and poisoned your tank. You could try carbon and polyfilter to remove those chemicals but I wouldn't advise it. You'll spend almost as much money on treatment and never be sure you got the pollutants out of the sand/rock.

I think you need to start over with new sand and new rock.

jmo,

Agu

Rich_Fray
04/13/2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Agu
Stan,

Sorry to hear about your disaster :( .

Your kitchen sponge was probably treated with an anti-fungal or anti-bacterial agent and poisoned your tank.

Not to mention residual soap or cleaning chemicals if you previously used that kitchen sponge to wipe stuff up. God know what might have been in that thing. Bummer.

Agu
04/13/2005, 11:05 AM
Here's another persons experience trying to reuse rock/sand,

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=506943&highlight=kitchen+sponge

Agu