PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy anemones?

nellie54914
04/12/2005, 06:09 PM
We are looking to buy a rose bulb anemoe (Entacmaea quadricolor). I only saw one once in a LFS around here (in Appleton), and it was around $150. I've been looking at places online and they're substantialy less. Do you guys know of any place locally that has decent prices on anemones? I'd rather buy it some place locally if I can find one for a good price. Or do you think we'd be better off ordering it online? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

~michelle

aberg12012
04/12/2005, 07:28 PM
Personally, I'd think unless you find a really nice one from a good source locally, I would feel more comfortable odering online. Reason being, usually there are less "middle-men" involved. And alot of online places will give credit for DOA's. Seems like anemones are tough to find locally that are healthy, and that have been cared for properly. The less "middle men" (or women) in between from the time it was harvested and arriving in your home the better.

Also, FYI for price comparison. I got my RBTA (Seen in my avatar) for 30 bucks. But that was a few years ago, from Bobby and Lee of Ultimate Aquatics who is now out of business. It was about 12" fully inflated when I got it. It was the largest I could find. I think that also a big survival factor. The larger the better. Mine has since split, and isn't as large anymore. :rolleyes:

z28cam
04/12/2005, 08:04 PM
How big of one are you looking for?

ronkent
04/12/2005, 08:24 PM
A little bit of a drive for you but Foster And Smith in Rhinelander has em normally for around $40-50 for a small one. I got mine from there and its doing great and is very healthy. It was about 3 inches across when i got it and is now about 4 inches across. Call ahead first and make sure they have some and if not ask them to hold one and call you when it gets in :) You can also pick up any supplies you may need from there.

nellie54914
04/12/2005, 08:29 PM
hmmm...interesting idea! We have friends right around there and my husband was thinking of going up there this weekend. But they're only open on saturdays, right, not sundays?

Stigmatic
04/12/2005, 10:56 PM
If anyone has an rbta that recently split and would like to sell the split off ill take it!

As for the LFS in appleton... where is it? is it worth the visit for the reef tank?

nellie54914
04/12/2005, 11:04 PM
I only know of 2 LFS in appleton with corals, neither have very many corals. The place with the most selection in this area isn't a store, look at the Midwest Marine Aquaculturing thread in this forum. He has a lot more than either of the stores, and better prices.

moujon
04/13/2005, 08:17 AM
I bought mine from Dag in Chicago. It's beautiful & healthy. Great color too. He has quite a few as his split quite often. It is about 4-6". It was definitely worth the drive. He's on the north side in Skokie.

This is just days after I bought it:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/63432RBTA.JPG

Aquabucket
04/13/2005, 08:52 AM
I have them in quite a bit but they sell very quickly. Just sold 3 in the last few days.

They are typically 4-6" in dia., colorful, feeding, have tightly closed mouths, and are very healthy!

You can PM me for more info and pricing.

gooch
04/14/2005, 05:08 PM
Buy aquacultured if you can. I have four from clones that trace back many generations. None of mine are for sale though. You should be able to get a clone for about $50. The ones I have split about four times a year. One guy had ten splits in a year from a rose he got from me.

BryanJ
04/19/2005, 09:38 PM
Scott are you done all together now with selling?

gooch
04/19/2005, 10:43 PM
Still open. Just got 100 ricordia polyps in today.

They look nice.

BryanJ
04/20/2005, 09:18 AM
sent a pm