PDA

View Full Version : Info on possible move to Tulsa

Carl_in_Florida
04/12/2005, 10:06 AM
I may be entering in Grad school in Tulsa. Is there anyone who would be willing to help me out with info on home costs, schools, neighborhoods, and the likes?

This is a pretty big decision and I sure would like to talk to someone out there.

Thanks,

Carl

Travis L. Stevens
04/12/2005, 05:52 PM
My friend just moved and so did I. My friend moved around in Tulsa. She was saying studio apartments are about $250 to $350. I assume 2 bedrooms are about $400-$600 and 3 bedrooms are about $600-$800. As far as houses, I dont know. All I know is my brother is moving into a LARGE 4 bedroom two story house that is 136,000 and he plans to pay 1200 a month on rent. I checked out and moved into Stillwater and I now live in a very spacious 3 bed 2 bath apartment at 730 a month. I can expect to pay about $100 more to live in Stillwater than Tulsa for the same living style. I could pay less if I wanted to lower my standards. You can always move into a Tulsa surrounding city such as Broken Arrow and Owasso and Jenks.

As for utilities, this varies greatly

Electric deposit 100-250 monthly 50-200
Phone deposit 50-100 monthly 50-150
Cable deposit (I dont remember...75?) monthly 50-175
Nat. Gas deposit 50-100 monthly 50-100
Water/Sewer deposit 50-100 monthly 50-75

From living in three places in the last year, a friend, brother, and a sister, this is what we could best come up with.

Im budgeting 1500 for

Car
Car Insurance
Phone
Electric
Cable
Rent

That is a three bed 2 bath apartment at about 1200 sq ft in stillwater. I hope that helps on what things will be like here in Oklahoma. And coming from Florida, this might be a nice break in living expenses. I hear its expensive to live on either west or east coast.

Travis L. Stevens
04/12/2005, 05:54 PM
oh..and I have water paid and an electric apartment....thats why they arent on there

Carl_in_Florida
04/12/2005, 06:30 PM
I am thinking about buying when i get there. Housing prices have jumped so much in the last couple of years here that i think i could buy a 3/2 cash. That would be real nice.

I may pm you with questions about neighborhoods if you don't mind.

Carl

Travis L. Stevens
04/12/2005, 07:01 PM
Feel free to PM or email anytime you need to. My response time is rather low until my home computer or my work internet get back up and running

lanamarks
04/13/2005, 08:48 AM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=525877

This is a forum for a month or so ago from someone asking similar questions since they are moving here from Dallas.

As far as housing. I live in Tulsa near Jenks (suburb) and actually in the Jenks school district. A house in the neighborhoods around me is 75,000-100,000. The nicer Jenks neighborhoods are farthur south so I guess I'm in the more ghetto part of Jenks school district (actually west Tulsa - yes I live on the west side :) ).

Which school would you be attending, TU or ORU (the only ones I can think of with grad programs in Tulsa). Ones in the north part of Tulsa and ones in the South part so that might make a difference.

Carl_in_Florida
04/13/2005, 08:58 AM
lanamarks - thanks for the link. Thinking about getting a masters at ORU but I am in the way early stages. I am combing that other thread. It seems to have a lot of the info I am looking for.
I have 2 very small kids so neighborhoods are important. I would only plan to live there a few years so resale values are important. It is a bit of a challange to figure out where is where.

I may pm you in the future.

Thanks for the help.

Carl

GSerg2
04/13/2005, 12:08 PM
If you are going to ORU, I would think south Tulsa area would be best to avoid a long commute. If you like the suburb scene, then maybe Jenks.

I live in Owasso. You can expect to pay about $70-$75 per sqft for a house in Owasso. I would assume that Jenks is about the same but I don't know that for sure. If you are interesting in Owasso (north of Tulsa), I might be able to help with your questions.

Greg

Carl_in_Florida
04/13/2005, 01:04 PM
The average home price is a big draw. Prices here are in the $200/sf range.

Carl

Carl_in_Florida
04/13/2005, 01:08 PM
Actually I did a search and the entry point is $200/sf. I can't afford my life anymore.

Here is a search of my zip for a 3/2

http://realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListings.asp?frm=byzip&lid=Enter+MLS+ID&pgnum=1&ss_aywr=&optInCheckbox=&st=&mls=xmls&lnksrc=&mnbed=3&js=on&mnsqft=1400&fid=so&vtsort=&poe=realtor&mnprice=0&areaid=33483&zp=33483&ct=&mxprice=99999999&typ=1&exft=0&exft=0&exft=0&exft=0&mnbath=2

Carl

lanamarks
04/13/2005, 04:30 PM
For ORU - Jenks is the closest with a great school district and good resale value. Suburcb so kinda out of the way of major city traffic. I loved going to school there and felt it was a great education. I had no problem transitioning to college. Best of luck!

Travis L. Stevens
04/15/2005, 04:07 PM
Thank you Lanamarks for posting that link. I was looking for it and couldn't find it.