PDA

View Full Version : Square Box Anthias

sschafer
01/16/2002, 11:40 PM
Hi All,

I have a gorgeous male Square Box Anthias that I purchased about two weeks ago. I had a tough time getting him to eat, but he finally took live brine. After his first feeding of live brine he started eating like gangbusters. I now have him eating frozrn brine, mysis, and marine supreeme. He will even eat freeze dried plankton. I know these guys are supposed to be difficult to keep alive so I want to make sure I do everything right from the start. It is my understanding that anthias tend to eat frequently. I currently feed him in the morning and when I get home from work. I was thinking of setting up an automatic feeder for mid-day and late night feedings. This fish seems like it has a very high metabolism. I should also mention that he is being kept in a reef tank. Any recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

EdKruzel
01/17/2002, 12:24 AM
Steve,
I find the Square Box a very hardy fish after acclimation, which it seems you've done.

Two healthy feedings a day should be fine. Most auto-feeders distribute flake, which is not exactly worth your time. He probably won't eat it and even if he does it has very little nutrition compared to prepared frozen or live meaty foods. The flake foods will probably cause you to have excess nutrients you don't need.

If your reef tank is well cultured with "bugs", these little amphipods, copepods, & isopods will supplement his diet enough between your morning and evening feedings as they scurry and get swept into the current.

Just my $.02

Good Luck