PDA

View Full Version : What's a good deal on a pump?

AquAsylum
04/11/2005, 08:30 AM
I didn't want to put this on a big forum- I can't handle so many different opinions today...

We have a quietone that we're going to use for now unless I can find a really good deal. I'd love to get the sequence 750 series but I am just way out of money. Should I just use the quietone and save up for a sequence?

It's for the return on our 120, only about 4' height to worry about. Thanks!

myakkareef
04/11/2005, 01:43 PM
I guess my answer would be "yes" if you really want more pump save till you can afford what you want....I know myself and I am sure many others have bought a ton of equipment only to want better....The other option is to add a second smaller pump as a closed loop setup, get more flow for less money, but then you have noise of 2 pumps and more plumbing. But you are able to spread your flow out alittle more....
The 4' head should not be a problem with any decent pump. I have been running Little Giants 4mdq's for years, they are alittle noisey, not bad though. Put out decent flow, and have one that has ran non stop for 6 years the other for 4 years..I would call them a "good" product as far as longevity...

multi striped 12
04/11/2005, 08:38 PM
Save the money like Scott said ... and get what you want need..
More flow the better ..look at the flow rates on the sequence,,you can always slow them down with a valve on the output side,,don't reduce inlet...
I am running a Little giant now also, 4mdqxc that I purchase a month or so ago..But I also just purchased from Oldsmar the sequence dart for my manifold... The double pump is a good Idea also...However for me quiet was the key..

AquAsylum
04/12/2005, 08:06 AM
Ok then, wait it is...seems to be a theme in this hobby!

myakkareef
04/12/2005, 01:20 PM
AAA but after about 6 years of waiting it is a piece of Cake...

wahwoo
04/13/2005, 08:57 PM
Patience is a vital requirement with a reef tank. When you get impulsive thats when everything goes wrong in big ways. I bet everyone here has stories about that.

When it seems like you have to do something QUICK but dont know what to do.... thats the best time to take a breath, do nothing, ask on Reef Central and wait for replies. Then things will become clearer and you wont rush into big mistakes.

Dave

AquAsylum
04/14/2005, 08:41 AM
I know..................

We don't have any choice but to wait right now- we're filtering out our milk shake. Day 5- getting annoyed! But it is getting better since I put in a new micron filter. Our poor LR looks like it is post-volcanic, covered in white silt.