PDA

View Full Version : ID Base Rock @ Animal Jungle

WantaBeReefer
04/11/2005, 05:56 AM
When I started my tank back in December I mixed in about 35lbs of base rock from animal jungle. The guy at the store indicated that it was TUFA rock, but I have no idea. They had 2 types at the time, a greyish looking baserock and a more porous looking yellowish rock. I puchased the yellowish looking rock, I just do not know what kind it is. It has been engulfed in various colors of coraline and looks really nice now. Can anyone that knows what I am talking about help out? Thanks, Justin

lmattix
04/15/2005, 07:31 AM
I bought some of both of that rock from Animal Jungle a couple of months back and it too is covered with coraline now. unfortunately I don't know what it is but I like it. Why do you want to know what kind of rock it is? I've seen your picture and I think your tank looks great.

Larry

WantaBeReefer
04/15/2005, 11:25 AM
There are no concerns with it, I was just curious. I am really happy with the way it turned out. I did not pick up any of the darker rock. Which one do you like the best? Thanks for responding.

WantaBeReefer
04/17/2005, 09:33 AM
http://images.snapfish.com/3436978723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2329%3D69%3B%3D63%3B%3DXROQDF%3E232383293%3A732ot1lsi When I bought this rock I bought a few extra pounds. I wanted to see how it turned out before I added all of it. Things looked good so I just added the rest fo what I had to the right hand side of my tank. It is the yellowish looking rock. I thought the pic might help a little. Thanks again-Justin

lmattix
04/17/2005, 02:35 PM
The front looks good too. In a couple of months the yellow rock will be green and purple, if your coraline has started. If not it will take a little longer. But be patient.

The dark grey rock looks better and seems to color faster. The yellow is morr porous and I think it works better for nitrification and denitrification (that's what live rock is for). I used a hand drill to make holes and caves in my yellow rock so that it look more like the nature LR. It drills like butter.

Larry

WantaBeReefer
04/17/2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah, Ive got some other pieces that are mixed in beneath the fuji that has been covered up already. I heard that the darker rock would get color quicker, but only after I picked up the yellow stuff. I shaped up my rock with a sheet metal hammer. It was nice and easy to work with. Anyway, thanks for the help