PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new members ?

charles6299
04/05/2005, 06:00 PM
Wuzz Up....i'm looking to join this new group in y-town...
I've been in the hobby for about...oh, lets say 15 years and
finally found a job that pays me enogh for my addictions...
yes, thats right...i'm building another reef tank and all my
friends think i'm nuts...so, i'm looking for a group of people
that also share the same addictions as myself...we can
call oursevles Reefer's Anonymous (LOL)...Any way, my name
is charles and am looking forward to joining the group ASAP !
Rich, i've already met you (I'm the annoying guy about the lights)
thanks for all the help...i'm back on track and am
very excited about my new oppurtunity...I really can use as
much advice as anyone has time for...its always interesting to hear about how other people are succesful and i try to learn
as much as i can...if anyone can help me w/ info on a R/O DI
System and how to set one up....please let me know !
Thanks and see ya guys soon !

ReefRock7
04/05/2005, 07:46 PM
Charles,

We are always welcoming new faces. Watch the posts on the MY-Sea thread for the next meeting date and be sure to come.

If you need any help setting anything up or have ne questions let me or my dad (hookedonfish) know.

As far as the RO/DI system...some prefer them some dont. They come pretty much assembled and ready to use when you recieve it...just hook it up to a water source.

-Chris

ONAGI
04/05/2005, 08:53 PM
Welcome Charles. We will be announcing the next meeting date soon. Should be in the next couple of weeks.
Omar

sbluscombe
04/05/2005, 09:11 PM
Hey charles,
It was nice talking to you today.Were here to help. Omar and I should be getting together here soon to fix a date for the April meeting.
Steve

Reefer247
04/05/2005, 10:14 PM
welcome to the sea..
i belive i met you at proff aquatics.. we talked about MH etc like last week.. either way nice to meet you

STACKER
04/06/2005, 05:45 AM
Howdy Charles! AS with others, we'll be seeing you soon.

RO? A nice RO/DI can be had for about $100 on Ebay built by one of 2-3 mfg's. Mine is a 110 GPD Water General unit in 6 stages. I paid $75 and $18 for shipping which is about what you should expect to pay. Some folks make RO in 5 gal. buckets, some in stock tanks, some in rubbermaid containers etc. (I use a 50 gal. rubbermaid with a heater and powerhead) Others use a float switch or solenoid and dump fresh RO right into their tanks/sumps as top-off water. I can diagram/detail any system you can dream up, just let me know what you want to accomplish.

deepbluesea99
04/10/2005, 10:33 AM
welcome to the club charles ,there should be an announcement of a date for the next meeting verry soon.looking forward to seeing you there.rich

charles6299
04/19/2005, 07:05 PM
RO? A nice RO/DI can be had for about $100 on Ebay built by one of 2-3 mfg's. Mine is a 110 GPD Water General unit in 6 stages. I paid $75 and $18 for shipping which is about what you should expect to pay. Some folks make RO in 5 gal. buckets, some in stock tanks, some in rubbermaid containers etc. (I use a 50 gal. rubbermaid with a heater and powerhead) Others use a float switch or solenoid and dump fresh RO right into their tanks/sumps as top-off water. I can diagram/detail any system you can dream up, just let me know what you want to accomplish.

could you draw up a diagram for me ?

STACKER
04/20/2005, 06:53 AM
Yup, gimme a few. I have a meeting out of town this AM but I'll take care if it when I get back.

STACKER
04/20/2005, 10:31 AM
Here's a basic layout of what I had in mind. One or 2 pumps can be used in the Mix tank, one for circulation and/or transport of mix during water changes, or 2 so each pump only has one function. this may be beneficial if you have a layout like my place where the tank requires 50 ft. of hose to accomplish the task. Keep in mind that the fresh RO and mix can both be transported using a single hose, another T and another valve. You'd also ned to consider check valves is you plan to hav any hoses submerged to avoid back siphoning. It's really simple to set his up, just takes space, time and money. The amount of money if the big factor!

This is an idea for RO auto topoff and semo auto mix replacement. I don't have this setup yet but will shortly.

http://www.modesinc.com/reef/ro.bmp

charles6299
04/20/2005, 08:09 PM
i'm thinking of just running the plumbing down to my basement for the sump...that way i have lots of room...keeps the display tank running quiet....and gives me room to work on it....does
anyone here drill tanks ?(i checked out the bit, it cost @ 65.00
AND YOU JUST GET THE ONE size...i was thinking about trying it or would like to see if anybody else has any interest and we could split the cost...then we can donate it to the club for members only..any takers ?
so thats why i would like to try and set up an R/O system w/ an automatic top-off to help make it as maintenence free so i can spend more time on other things in the tank...
let me know stack if you have any drawings...

charles6299
04/20/2005, 08:36 PM
so basically...i would be running two sumps...right ?
and does the shut off valve shut the whole system down...how does the R/O system know when to put water in the sump and not the drain ?

STACKER
04/21/2005, 05:40 AM
Right now I have an open sump type rubbermaid container with a heater and powerhead and I jsut turn on and off the RO supply valve as needed. Most setups I've seen for RO mix use cylinder type holding tanks with a lid for that and you can either have it right by yout tanks sump or run supply lines to it. I don't have a choice so I have to run the lines over.

The auto top-off is simply a solenoid or float switch/valve placed on the tank or sump that conrtols the level of the display by adding RO when it gets low. They are not fool proof (idiot proof in my case) abut with a little tweak and clean here and there the ones I've seen work pretty well. The image above shows the valves in a diagram mode. Specific mountings and heigth adjustment device(s) would have to be made to fit your needs. BTW, I have a machine shop and considerable experience making neat plastic stuff for fishy tanks... I work cheap for beer and frags, or frags and beer.... or beer! :)