PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Pairs & Bioload

Fishy Something
01/15/2002, 01:16 AM
I read a recent post here regarding someone who wanted to put a pair of bangais & a pair of clowns in the one tank and it was suggested that this particular tank would be too small for this.

Whilst I consider myself to be a reasonable experienced reefer I readily admit to being a complete novice as far as fish breeding goes. I am in the early stages of planning a new tank that will be approximately 5 1/2 ft x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2, (probably on an ATS with a smaller seahorse tank to keep my wife happy attached :D ) and am considering my stocking list.

In an ideal world I would like to keep some fish pairs and if things happen... great. In this size tank would a pair of clowns & bangais be likely to "do their stuff" if peace?

I would also like to keep a mandarin once the tank matures (or even a pair ;) ) should this be possible.

Other than that I would like to keep a Tang (TBA), a flame angel & a Lawnmower Blennie.

Do you foresee any problems with this grouping, and are the pairs likely to be able to breed successfully?

Also what should I be reading in the meantime, other than Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson which I am currently waiting on?

Thanks for the assistance

James

FMarini
01/16/2002, 12:10 PM
james:
thanks for the question, and i apologize for not getting to it sooner.
So your tank size seems fine for the fish you mention.
Would a pair of banggais and clowns do "their things" in this size tank. Most likely and even better if you can setup the tank to include physical barriers(please read the thread in the fish care section on this). So that the fish have little interaction.
http://reefcentral.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=56266

If you can get the clowns hosts on opposite ends of the tank away from the banggais, and there are rock structures which prevent eyeshot(as well as good hideyholes) then you should be fine.
NOW remember you said " just doing it". These fish pairs will breed, but it will be fairly difficult to grow out the fry in the main tank. So why not plumb two or three smaller tanks to this big one. 1)for the wifes seahorses) and 2) for fry grow out (2 of them).
i can recommend you go thru www.inlandaquatics.com for their "breeding pairs" of banggais, and clowns.
AS far as reading Joyce's book is top of the list for clowns, you might want to think about frank hoffs "phytoplankton culture book(as you will be growing food for the rotoifers). Find some online articles about rotifer culture, and lastly
http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml for the banggai -specific info.

Lastly, if you want another fish to bred as well, pseudochromis might be another choice.
Great success

Fishy Something
01/16/2002, 04:35 PM
Thanks very much, greatly appreciated... I'm sure I'll be back when I actually get closer to going ahead!!

James