PDA

View Full Version : Marinelife

Micki
04/04/2005, 09:01 PM
Did you see the second Pm I sent you?

marinelife
04/04/2005, 09:03 PM
Yes,
I am not sure if more will help but I have some of that feather alage I can send. Red alage is more about current

Micki
04/04/2005, 09:05 PM
I have a strong current. funny, but the red seems to be leaving the fuge and moving into the main tank. I also wanted more to be able to eventually sustain the tangs and get away from the nori.

marinelife
04/04/2005, 09:11 PM
I would bet in your sump you have good flow but I wonder what happens when it push up to your tank, did you ever find out the pump you are using. How long is your sump light on

Micki
04/04/2005, 09:15 PM
Sump light is on 24/7

Blue line 70 HD

marinelife
04/04/2005, 09:21 PM
You are likely only getting 600gph out of each return which would not be enough to get rid of the red algae, You remember the 75 sump I have, I put a maxijet 1200 in there and the algae on the front glass was gone in about 1 hour

Micki
04/04/2005, 09:25 PM
We don't even have the pump turned all the way up. When it's turned up higher it blows sand every where! When I try to move the over flows away from the sand, it blows the coral too much.

marinelife
04/04/2005, 09:29 PM
hmm, that is odd that pump is rated at 1750gph but with 90 and Ts you take that down but pushing the water up, not sure how you are getting it to move sand, I do not even move sand in my 180 with 4000+gph

Micki
04/04/2005, 09:34 PM
I'm telling you, it's crazy, but we can not open them up. Right now at where they are set, I have them running on the top part of the water because if they are turned even the slightest downward they blow sand. I'm not sure what to do. As I said if I turn it up, it blows the coral to bad. In fact we had one pointed towards the torch and it actually tore some of the tentacles off! That isn't even all the way open! And the torch is healthy, it's not like is was dying or anything.

Micki
04/04/2005, 09:36 PM
We actually started out with a 40 HD and took it back because it barely moved the water. We skipped the 55 and went right to the 70. We really felt like we could have gone to the 55 because we can't turn this one up.

Micki
04/04/2005, 09:44 PM
Randy just said if we turn it up too much more, the over flows can't keep up and it will flood the tank out. I think he even mentioned that to you when we came to your house last week.

Any ideas or suggestions?

marinelife
04/04/2005, 09:49 PM
I am not sure I have always gotten rid of red algae by adding more flow, I can not even imagine how the algae is growing if the flow is that fast

Micki
04/04/2005, 09:56 PM
Well, as I said, I have most of the flow near the top because I don't want the sand blowing around.

Should I let the sand blow and see what happens? I already have trouble not letting the bubble coral get too much flow. If it gets much at all it doesn't open up like normal. I have trouble with that.

marinelife
04/04/2005, 10:09 PM
let me think on this overnight and I will let you know tomorrow what I think would fix it.

Micki
04/04/2005, 10:15 PM
Ok sounds good. By the way, adding power heads is out. That's reason I went with dual over flows. I also have a room divider tank and I HATE PH's! I don't like the way they look, I don't like when the suction cups come off, I just don't like them for my tank. I dislike them so much that I would put up with red slime before I would break down and get a PH.
Thanks...

ohioreef
04/05/2005, 04:18 AM
Micki,

Ref the suction cups, I've got some acrylic MJ hangers headed my way. I'll have to let you know how they work out. You could probably "hide" powerheads off the front of your overflows or possibly in your rock.

Micki
04/05/2005, 07:13 AM
They are a PAIN IN THE NECK! I am 110% positive that I have enough flow through my over flows. Even with PH I would have to have it hitting the sand which would be the same problem I have now with the other ones.

My daughter in law uses the PH. Let me know how the hangers work.

marinelife
04/05/2005, 10:18 AM
Hey, I pulled out my Aglae solving book and for red slim is says strong water flow, protein skimming, activated carbon, ozone

As for macro aglae, let me see if my tangs will eat the feather and if they do I have alot if it I can ship you

Micki
04/05/2005, 02:34 PM
Great! Well, I have a great skimmer. I have corbon in a sock, but I'm sure it needs replaced. How often should it be replaced? The flow is the hard part for me. I still don't know what to do to avoid sand storms... I can't wait to have a meeting at my house so you can see that I have plenty of flow. :)

Please let me know if your tangs eat the feather. What do you feed your tangs now?

marinelife
04/05/2005, 02:45 PM
Yes seeing it would help

marinelife
04/05/2005, 02:45 PM
My tang get nori from my hand and a mix match of frozen food at night

Micki
04/05/2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by marinelife
Yes seeing it would help

Don't believe me huh? :)

so do you just hand feed the tangs once a day? Just hand it to them and walk away? I use the clips, but I don't like them. I guess it's obvious that I don't like anything not natural in my tank. :D

ohioreef
04/05/2005, 03:30 PM
You might want to run the carbon in a reactor. You would get more flow through it that way. I've debated doing that, but just haven't gotten around to either building one or scraping the $$ together to buy one.

marinelife
04/05/2005, 03:45 PM
It is a matter of seeing it would help figure out a fix, its not that I do not believe you. I do have a clip but they usually pull it out of it and it floats around the tank. everytime I go to the clip and grab it the fish are there so I just stick it in the water and 3 or 4 of them grab it.

Micki
04/05/2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by marinelife
It is a matter of seeing it would help figure out a fix, its not that I do not believe you. I do have a clip but they usually pull it out of it and it floats around the tank. everytime I go to the clip and grab it the fish are there so I just stick it in the water and 3 or 4 of them grab it.

I was just teasing Eric... Mine pull it out of the clip too. Maybe I'll just start handing it to them. Actually all of my fish eat it. Clowns, tangs, LMB, Chromis. You name it.