PDA

View Full Version : My new prop tank

z28cam
04/04/2005, 05:23 PM
I decided to turn my freshwater winter koi holding tank into a coral prop tank. It just has my old PC fixture from my 72 bow on it right now. Hopefully upgrade to T5's or MH/T5 combo in the future.

Whole Tank

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/z28cam/IMG_0309.jpg

Corals

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/z28cam/prop.jpg

Before anyone asks whats in the clear upside down container, my Galaxea "eggs" are in there :)

Shouse94
04/04/2005, 07:08 PM
what kind of flow u got going in that thing?\
Looks nice

z28cam
04/04/2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks.

Im not really sure exactly what the flow rate is since I cant remember what the pumps are rated at. But it it should be aroung 500gph combined, between the filter and Power Head. Gonna be getting a Seio to help keep things stirred up. Cause right now there isn't quite enough flow.

nellie54914
04/04/2005, 11:02 PM
Cool z28! How big is that tank? And are those big shells that you have some frags in?

Schmev
04/04/2005, 11:04 PM
Did you plumb it to the rest of your setup or standalone? I can't wait til I finish my basement sump room and start a prop tank of my own!! :) I plan on plumbing mine to the common sump.

z28cam
04/04/2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks,

There is Kenya tree frags in the shells Nellie.

No its not plumbed into my main aquarium, I rent so I cant go drilling holes in the floor :D

kass03
04/05/2005, 01:44 AM
Nice Joe, now get those acan lords growing so we can all have a frag. I call first in line :p
Ok with my experience I'm embarrassed to ask but how is this tank run with no rock or sand? Do you just have a sump on it with rock and sand?
If you guys knew how reefs have changed since I started and it keeps changing. It's actually much simpler now than it used to be.
I try to keep up but it changes all the time.

kass

z28cam
04/05/2005, 03:22 AM
Oh yeah the tank is a 55 gallon

Kass, the acan is growing really fast. But im sure its gonna be awhile before its ready for any fragging unfortunately.

There will be LR and cheato going in the tank, just haven't stuck it in yet. But no sand to keep it easier to clean.There is no sump.

Aquabucket
04/05/2005, 03:28 AM
Sweet looking prop tank Joe!

It looks like you are becoming quite the serious reefer!
Glad to see you are taking up such a rewarding aspect of the hobby and efforts like yours are an excellent contribution to the aquaculturing of wild collected corals.

Bravo!!

kass03
04/05/2005, 02:47 PM
I know Joe I'm just teasing you about the lord (although would love to try a frag someday).

kass

z28cam
04/06/2005, 04:41 PM
I know kass, believe me when its ready i plan to share the love :)

Thanks Spike, I am now in the middle of building a nano with a self contained sump in the back of the tank, so far its turning out great. Will have an overflow in the corner which will flow into the refugium which will drain into another compartment that will have two mag-drive powerheads to return it to the tank. Cant wait to have it done and running :)