PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my stand

will1021
04/04/2005, 02:46 PM
I am getting a new stand built to replace the current one that I have. So I am going to have to empty my tank to move it.

I am looking for some suggestions on how I should do this.

Thanks

Will

H2OLUVSME
04/04/2005, 04:13 PM
lots of buckets :lmao: i want to hear suggestions on this too, as im thinking of getting a taller stand built also. id be willing to help in what ever you do!

jjac
04/04/2005, 04:20 PM
I have a couple of 25 gallon coolers that you could borrow.
Jimmy

chad508
04/04/2005, 04:48 PM
i just went to lowes and bought one of there 96 gallon trash cans it held all the water in my tank plus the rock. and when your done take the trash can back if you don't need it again.
and my other suggestion is to have everything you need including atleast 20 gallons of ready made water, a good friend that is willing to wait around for the water to drain and go slow, if you rush something will happen.
the only other thing i can offer to help the move is to just get a new tank and tranfer everything over to that. but i know not everyony can do that.

BubbaPhish
04/04/2005, 05:16 PM
Well depending on tank size I would possibly invest in a vat. We have a farm supply here in Florence that sells 110gal stock tanks for less than $45. A 180 gal stock tank is around $100. I have been eyeing the 100 as a possible prop tank if I can ever find enough room in my office.
You could also use rubbermade bins as well around $5 for a 30 gal bin. Just be careful not to load them up too much without re-inforcing them as they can and do split sometimes. Best way to prevent is to double them up, one inside another.
Check out www.tufftubs.com to see the stock tanks I am talking about. I have looked at them in person at Agri-Supply and they are built pretty tough. They also have drums with lids (trash cans) cheap as well, very similar to rubbermade brutes. I almost forgot they are UV resistant.

Kevin

will1021
04/04/2005, 05:28 PM
I have a 55 gal. tank here and a bunch of buckets. I am hoping to get everything done in one day.

The cabinet maker that is doing the stand isn't finished yet, but as soon as he can deliver it, I will let everyone know. It will definately be a Saturday project.

How should I transfer my corals? I don't want to send them into shock.

chad508
04/04/2005, 05:46 PM
i used a rubber maid container that is used to store stuff under the bed. it is shallow enough that you don't have to reach way down to put in the corals but deep enough to cover them. if you do this fast enough you can just use a light to keep the water warm enough not to drop the temp. i have done this twice with my corals and have lost none. and i never reacclimate the corals as the water you take out of the tank should drop at the same rate as the water with the corals. the faster you can move everything the better off you will be.

phishguy78
04/04/2005, 06:25 PM
i agree with everything everyone else has just said all i have to say is will you need a hand call me ill help out i can lift a lot of weight as i lift 100 pound bags at store all the time

will1021
04/15/2005, 05:38 PM
Well the stand is ready, I will let everyone know when I am going to replace it.

phishguy78
04/15/2005, 09:15 PM
cooll glad to hear you ready to get going on your project will my offer still stands if you need some help moving stuff