PDA

View Full Version : New tank is in

BubbaPhish
04/03/2005, 05:03 PM
Well I got a message while on vacation and my new tank setup is in. I have to go and get it this week. Guess I'll be moving one tank and bracing the floor joist tomorrow.
Was looking at bracing with 2-4x4's 4ft. long centered 16" in from each end of the tank. Also using 4" solid concrete block to use under the jacks. Was looking at 2 jacks under each 4x4. any thoughts ? Guess I should mention that the tank will be parallel to the floor joist.

Kevin

phishguy78
04/03/2005, 05:29 PM
umm sounds good to me kevin i have never had to reinforce a floor before however i think it is cool that you got new tank cant wait to see some pics man

BubbaPhish
04/03/2005, 06:44 PM
Stephen, I am pretty stoked over it. Lots of construction on moderately priced homes these days are of a concrete slab foundation. My house has joist and piers with a large crawlspace. When running a tank that is parallel with the joist you have to add extra support to keep the joist from bowing. Could lead to a disaster over time. It all depends on tank size, load and location of the tank. My 125 isn't supported but it is perpendicular to the floor joist and rest against a load bearing wall. Next project will be to get rid of all of the Frontosa in the 125 and convert it to a FOWLR set up.

Where's Landon? Isn't he a structural engineer?

H2OLUVSME
04/04/2005, 07:56 AM
what type of jack are you going to use?

H2OLUVSME
04/04/2005, 08:04 AM
what type of substrae is your crawlspace? sand?

BubbaPhish
04/04/2005, 08:15 AM
Landon,
the base dirt of the crawlspace is compacted grey soil. Was looking at using the adjustable steel type post that have 2 steel plates on each end and have pins in the middle with a screw type of adjustment on one end. I'm kinda thinking a 2x12 may work better than a 4x4, better to spread the load a little. There is almost 4ft. from the ground to the bottom of the joist.

Kevin

BubbaPhish
04/04/2005, 08:20 AM
Am trying to get this project out of the way pronto as soon as I move a 55gal and stand out of the way this morning. Supposed to go get the new setup tomorrow and don't want to have any load in place when bracing the floor.

Kevin

H2OLUVSME
04/04/2005, 08:51 AM
we use those screw type post for reshoring all the time. they are very good at holding a lot of weight for a short time. over time they begin to loosen though. i would take you a couple of pieces of 2'x2' plywood. double stack it, and place it where your post will be. use 4x4s in both directions. you can use 2x4 wedges under the vertical to get it real tight. if you are worried about the wedge sliding down, you could place a nail or screw behind it to keep it wedged in. you could do all of this with (3) 8' 4x4s and a sheet of plywood (i would use 3/4").

just FYI a builders grade #2 pine 4x4 is good for over 15,000 pounds at 4'. if you use four (placed under the existing joist) you should be able to hold up a small car :D.

im not sure if i follow you on using the 2x12 to "spread the load a little". if you turn the 2x12 sideways, it wont have much load capacity. you really need to keep it vertical (its stronger than a 4x4 like this), or just use the 4x4.

just make sure everything is plumb and all should be well.

if you need any materials LMK, allthough im sure HD is cheaper than the gas to get here and back. i have everything you would need right here at our shop.

BubbaPhish
04/04/2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks Landon,
I moved the 55gal this morning after work and I am spent. Also have baseball tonight so I won't get around to any bracing work today. Although I may go get supplies tonight. Sounds like it is gonna be a few 4x4's and plywood.
Thanks Landon,
Kevin

I wish we had home Depot here...........Stuck with Lowes or local building suppliers. May check out HD tomorrow while in Columbia just before picking up tank.

H2OLUVSME
04/04/2005, 03:21 PM
good luck!! i think everything is pretty much overkilled (the way you want it) with 4x4s. just dont skimp on the plywood. it will make a big difference when you are installing on sand/dirt. you dont want the ground to sink or wash out from under the 4x4s. with the plywood you'll have the 24 inches in both directions, to prevent wash out or creeping.

BubbaPhish
04/04/2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks again Landon......
I am on hold until Thursday now. My uncle who is a general contractor came by for a visit today and I asked him to lend me a hand bracing the floor and he's also gonna install additional ground fault electrical outlets and 2 new circuits in the area for the new setup. I already have a box of 12-3 romex laying around so that is a sweet bonus of getting extra juice to the area to run things. Now all I am wondering is how bad the magnetic ballast will interfere with my HDTV. May have to remote mount them, possibly under the house, mounting in the attic gives me the willies............will have to wait and see:D

Kevin