PDA

View Full Version : Skeptical about posting your resume online?

Frisco
06/05/2000, 05:00 PM
I was apprehensive also at first... and I sure wish I had done it sooner. One of my friends urged me to post a copy on several of the boards... and I've already been contacted by 5 different people in the last two weeks - all sound like very interesting jobs. (I'm not even a programmer or web guy - I was amazed at the response for what I do for a living!) In fact, I've gotten several informal job offers based on quick telephone interviews for higher level positions I never would have applied for...

I definitely urge everyone to consider doing the same!

O'Man
06/05/2000, 09:19 PM
I did it and within two days I took it off. I got stuff on par with spam.

Examples follow:
"Seeking an Individual to Learn My Business"
"Earn What You Are Worth"
"Make Money Online"
"Start Your Own E Business"
and other MLM junk. Worse yet, I got 3 phone calls for this type of stuff during dinner.

I suspect my sales management and marketing background was the bait that brought on this nonsense. If, however, these knuckleheads had actually read my posted resume, common sense would have told them my expertise is in selling actual products, problem solving and improving processes -- not selling concepts, fantasies and rosey sounding futures.

I must say that your post is positive enough where maybe I will reconsider. If I do I am going to open an additional e-mail account. I removed my initial post out of fear of having my regular e-mail address make one of those irritating lists that make you get bombed with junk.

[This message has been edited by O'Man (edited 06-05-2000).]

Brian Koyama
06/05/2000, 10:53 PM
Frisco,
Just curious, could you either post or email me some of the links that you used? Thanks!
Brian

Staceon
06/06/2000, 07:49 AM
Frisco,

I tried to go to your homepage..wont open. Also you dont have an email listed? Like neenish I would be interested in what sites you used.

Dwayne
06/06/2000, 08:37 AM
I'll second Frisco's suggestion. There is a lot of opportunity for folks willing to make a change. (No, I'm not a headhunter or recruiter)

Just my personal experience, FWIW, YMMV, etc...

Dwayne

Afishianado
06/06/2000, 02:05 PM
I have used these sites to post my resume online. I have probably averaged 3 calls a week over the last year. I found this to be a great way to get your resume out. the key is to include words in your resume that hint at what you can do. The head hunters do keyword searches. That is probably how they nailed you with the sales experience. I like the idea of headhunters, they are motivated to find me a job I want because if they do, the company that hires me pays them, usually between $500 and $3000. Best of all, it doesn't cost you a thing. I had good luck this way, I would recommend it to anyone. Just do a search for online job sites and resume centers, there are many of them out there.

Chris

no I am not a headhunter either....

badgers
06/07/2000, 06:28 PM
I am telling all your current bosses what you are thinking :eek:
just kidding:
no I'm not :)
yes I am
No I'm not