PDA

View Full Version : Another Day Older and Deeper in Debt

Larry M
06/03/2000, 08:55 PM
What a weekend so far. Putting ceramic tile down on the bathroom floor, Reef Stores is down and I've been trying to get it up (the site that is :D) and to top it off I bought a new pickup. Leased it, that is. With prices the way they are now who the heck can afford to buy them anymore???
In 1978 I bought a new Ford F-150 decked out for $5200.00, today a new Chevrolet Silverado 4X4, pretty much bare bones....for a little over $20,000. Ouch!!

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Stores.com (http://63.75.34.139/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?) The liaison between hobbyists and on-line retailers.

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

Evets
06/03/2000, 09:56 PM
Yes, I believe I may be limited to buying rebuilt cars from the 60's for the rest of my life (although I really don't feel that is a bad thing) just so my daughter can go to college. Of course, I probably have three to four grand in the reef tank... :) At least you have all of us ;)
-Steve

Larry M
06/03/2000, 11:11 PM
Doug--There's a pretty fair range of prices in the Silverado, I got the cheapest 4x4 I could find, almost. I didn't even know you could buy it in a diesel.
James--Now there was a man with a set of pipes, eh? :D

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Stores.com (http://63.75.34.139/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?) The liaison between hobbyists and on-line retailers.

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

Flatlander
06/03/2000, 11:38 PM
It was the last of the 6.5 liter turbocharged models. They are going with a new one in the future made by an overseas company.
The engine would not fit in the new styled ,99 silverado, so they put it in the old style body[ which I liked better anyway], and called it the ,99 Classic.
Great engine ,excellent milage, lots of power. Being that I now live in the north and soon in the country I also needed a 4-wheel drive. Its also a 3/4 ton.
Alas, though like everything else in this country, vehicle prices are also a joke!!!!!
We did save the difference though by purchasing a nice house on an acre of land in the country just on the border of a national park.
Half the price of same house in the city and cheap taxes, plus self sufficient, so I guess it all come out in the wash.
I told you guys , hurry up and make us a state. I will be the first to meet you all at the border and show you around. Just bring some fishie equipment with you. :D :D :D
I already buy most of my equipment in Minneapolis anyways.
By the way, I have a guess room and am across the street from golf course and just down the highway from one of the most beautiful courses in the world.

------------------
Doug Lowey

jimhobbs
06/04/2000, 07:18 AM
Yeah, that's one reason I like my Toyota...Last forever!!...I HATE car payments...As long as the A/C works and the cruise control works, I'm a happy camper! :D

have fun guys!...jim

Flatlander
06/04/2000, 08:25 AM
Sheez Larry, your lucky. Same truck here is $38000. My new silverado diesel was ON SALE for $41000 :D :p :D :p :D :p

------------------
Doug Lowey

jimhobbs
06/04/2000, 08:27 AM
My house didn't cost that much! :D

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 06-04-2000).]

JamesB
06/04/2000, 10:39 AM
Blast you, Larry. After reading that title, I've been subconsciously doing my Tennessee Ernie Ford impression all morning :( .

Dwayne
06/04/2000, 07:16 PM
Doug - Careful what you offer, you might end up with a yard full of poles and clubs. :D

Dwayne

[This message has been edited by Dwayne (edited 06-04-2000).]

Ironreef
06/04/2000, 07:56 PM
I remember in the early 80's the average income of a average blue collar worker , In Sea WA. The yearly income was almost the cost of a house. Which housing was cheap back then. Then there was a housing boom then high tech. Wages are much less incomparison with inflation ect.. The yearly wage of an average worker is that of a top model car whatever it is.I think a starter home in seattle which is in not a so good neihborhood is around $170,000

jimhobbs
06/04/2000, 08:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry M: I've been trying to get it up
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try the blue pills :eek: They seem to help Q with a similar problem :D

:D Have fun guys!...jim :D

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 06-04-2000).]

Flatlander
06/04/2000, 08:58 PM
No problem Dwayne. I just 8hrs. north/west of you.
Ironreef; How right you are. Its even worse in the tax mans domain up here. I guess its not all our govt. fault. We try to keep up with our neighbors to the south but with such a large country and small population to supply tax dollars its pretty hard.

------------------
Doug Lowey

horge
06/05/2000, 03:03 AM
jim:

No, the blue pills just make them bigger.
(Check out Q's pic again!)
Gettin something up is a different issue.
:)

Staceon
06/05/2000, 09:22 AM
Hey Larry,

Watch your miles! I have been leasing cars/suvs now for about 4 or 5 years. The first one I leased I was about 15,000 miles over my limit: yea ouch on penality payment. Did you get the extra miles in your lease aggreement? Also how long lease did you get? I like the 2 year leases.....pay a little more..but nice to get new car every 2 years and not worry about paying for something breaking down.

Q-ball
06/05/2000, 09:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimhobbs:
Try the blue pills :eek: They seem to help Q with a similar problem :D

:D Have fun guys!...jim :D

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 06-04-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, I been trying to tell you guys, this is not the job of the blue pills! This is what the green ones are for! sheesh, can't teach you guys anything! :D

Q

------------------
Reality is merely a short-lived perception, make of it what you will.

Larry M
06/05/2000, 04:14 PM
Stace--I got a three year lease. I did the numbers last night on buying it, on a five year loan the monthly payment would have been about the same. Oh well, I guess we'll give this a try. 15,0000 should take care of me just fine--it's my work truck so the only time it leaves the city is for hunting in the fall. Although, we have a trip to the Rockies coming up in a couple of months, I might take it instead of my wife's shoebox (Honda Civic).
I was impressed with the dealership. Like Joez mentioned before, buying a car can be a very stressful experience--I hate it!! This place had a website, I filled out a credit app on line, someone called me the same night and I set up an appointment with him to drive a truck. They sold it to me for about $100 over invoice, gave me a good price on my current truck. No high pressure, no BS. It was so painless I might not wait 6 years next time.

------------------
Larry M