PDA

View Full Version : April meeting ??

Agu
04/01/2005, 11:04 AM
Any ideas or suggestions ?

If red tide retreats we could possibly plan to meet for seining ? As I understand it's best to go before the water warms up too much..

Or is anyone willing to host ?

Or is there an other activity we could do ? I understand there's a greenhouse coral farm in Sarasota. Is meeting there a possibility ?

In addition I've talked to Chris, the pres of the Tampa club, about some joint meetings and frag swaps but that's way preliminary now.

Agu

sandman12
04/01/2005, 11:15 AM
ive always found more variety in what u catch seining in the summer. Who's greenhouse?

myakkareef
04/01/2005, 04:43 PM
Hard to believe it is April already...Man this year is cruising way to fast...I will be outof town April 20-24...Going to see the big waterfall (Niagra Falls)...Hopefully the meeting will not fall on that weekend, but if it does I know you will get along without me:rolleyes: ...Since I have missed the last 2 anyhow...
Siening sounds like a cool meeting...Just not sure who has native tanks or will we be returning most back to the water??....

wahwoo
04/01/2005, 11:34 PM
The reports show that the red tide has retreated from our area. Its now only in Tampa/Clearwater. Also people who went to Stump Pass yesterday told me it was clear.

I seriously want to try seining. Why dont we just get nets at Cooks Sports and go. With a small amount of pre-planning here, we could make seining the meeting. We need nets, buckets and battery powered air pumps made for keeping bait alive.

A coral greenhouse sounds very interesting also. Youre the idea man, Agu. Keep them coming!

Bugs825
04/03/2005, 08:56 PM
I vote for seining. Almost every snail that the LFSs have are wild caught so I wouldn't be so worried about adding stuff to our tanks. I have 1 battery powered pump. I have seen more critters on the grass flats durring the warmer months here.

Nathan

Trapper
04/03/2005, 09:21 PM
I'll vote for seining.

multi striped 12
04/03/2005, 09:29 PM
I don't think my new sump, motor, manifold will be done in time( April)
but I should be able to do May??

I like the idea of seeing the health and variety in the bay idea but unless
someone has a bay local tank seahorse etc I think the stuff should go back

Just my .02 battery air to look is great

M S 12

Agu
04/04/2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by sandman12
ive always found more variety in what u catch seining in the summer. Who's greenhouse?

I called your buddies who are opening a store several months ago to promote the club. As I recall one of them mentioned a coral prop greenhouse.

Or am I having a senior moment ??

Agu

sandman12
04/04/2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah they where/are planning on one but with the hurricane damage the people that where/are going to build there greenhouse keep putting them off which is why they opened the store. So as of now there is no greenhouse.

James

Agu
04/04/2005, 10:04 PM
james,

Good to know I'm not senile yet.

Agu

sandman12
04/04/2005, 10:07 PM
i like that....Yet:rollface: :lol:

multi striped 12
04/06/2005, 08:40 PM
I looked in the window of the Clark rd store today..

Looks nice

coyoteseven
04/06/2005, 10:03 PM
Good news/bad news scenario...

Good news :) , I'll be able to make any April weekend meeting because... bad news :( , I hurt my arm (pulled/ripped/torn/strained muscles and/or tendons) at work and am now on light duty with weekends off.

Seining sounds good, I have a new 10g I would like to do a local species theme in, mainly seahorses (dwarf or otherwise).

If we decide to do regular meeting with a frag trade , I have a nice speckled leather and Figi yellow leather (frags off ReeferMadness parents), also, I should be able to bring a nice colt frag or two. They will average 3-4" or better. I am looking for some nice shrooms, rics, maybe even a hammer or frogspawn.

Agu
04/06/2005, 10:20 PM
Time is getting short but a seining outing seems to be the most popular idea. The other thread had ideas for locations but can we consolidate them here ? We'll need the right biotope, ample parking, and a day/time for us to get together. If the seins are under $20 I'll buy one for the club. Looking for feedback......

Agu

Coyoteseven , Good to hear you'll make the next meeting ;) .

coyoteseven
04/06/2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks Agu. I need to hurry and hit the lottery so I can have all weekends off and maybe host some meetings in my dream world 50'x100' greenhouse. :lmao:

benter
04/07/2005, 05:50 AM
Hey everyone I would like to take the time to express my gratitude for inviting Ray(premnusb) and myself, to the last meeting you guys had..Trapper your hospitality was unbelievable!!! If we are still invited..seining sounds great!!!I already have a nice sein net and a compressor or 2...we are even planning a quick weekend trip to the keys soon and see what we can p/u in the back bays..anyway , again thanks for the hospitality you have all showed so far and looking forward to a seining trip!!!

AquAsylum
04/11/2005, 08:28 AM
I'll fill in for the broken arm if we can make it- and I won't be ready yet to keep any harvest, so that's more for everyone else!

wahwoo
04/12/2005, 07:15 PM
We need Rocky to get into this. He mentioned showing us a good location which also had a small reef to snorkle.

Cooks has the seins $14 for 8' $24 for 16' and $34 for 24'.

The water is warm and the red tide is gone.

If its too late to organize all this, then visiting the wholesaler in Ft Myers sounds like a great idea. Time is getting short. Does any one else have some ideas?

Dave

wahwoo
04/12/2005, 07:21 PM
The fishing was not good last weekend at Stump Pass. Both in the surf and the waterway. No body was getting bites at all.

Several serious fishermen explained to me that there were no minnows to attract the larger fish. I wonder if this will affect our seining. I looked for crabs and couldnt find any. Even scrapping along the bottom of the inlet. Just thinking that it might be early to catch small animals.

sandman12
04/12/2005, 08:22 PM
Lots of trout,snook, and reds at tera ceia off emerson point. Ive never seined there but theres parking and lots of grass (in the water)....but it is in palmeto so it may be a long drive for most of u.

Bugs825
04/13/2005, 04:20 AM
Hey guys,

The water is warm??? You northern people! It is only 75 degrees. My skinny buns don't go in unless its 85.

I guess I could tough it out for seining.

I was out at Stump Pass yesterday and saw some bait. I collected lots of snails (my mantis loves them!) I think that they are Nassarius (sp?) and some kind of Cerithium. they are fixing the algae and hunger problem in his tank. Is kinda neat to listen to him beat on the shells.

Nathan

wahwoo
04/13/2005, 04:36 AM
Nathan,

Thats funny! I guess I can accept that since it was -11 degrees in NJ the week before we packed the truck two months ago. Thats 41 degrees colder than freezing water. We were lucky that it warmed up to 14 when we loaded up. We re still in seasonal lag.

There were hundreds of others in the water. Some local jet skiers were complaining about wreckless tourists.

I dont like cold water but had no problem with the temp of the Gulf. It was much warmer than our pool which has been 75-79 degrees and I wont get in there yet.

myakkareef
04/13/2005, 07:12 AM
Bugs beat me to it..."the water is Warm" HHMM...This old boy was born here the water is not warm. The water is somewhat bearable...The water is warming up...The water will be warm in about a month or so...
Then again if it is for fishing or reef, the water is OK...

Agu
04/13/2005, 09:35 AM
Let's plan on seining on sat the 30th, that way we have lead time (and Scotty can make it ;) ). Time would be dependent on location and tides afaik. Lower tides will expose more of the flats for seining without us having to go neck deep. Most convenient location would probably be fro Sarasota and Venice for most members. Also we'll need someplace where we won't be bothering fishermen or boaters and has parking. Since I don't know the area that well yet could some of you who have experience come up with a location ? ( You could even start a seperate thread for locations and report back here when a decision is reached .)

Regarding water temp, you only need to go about thigh deep, you shouldn't even need to get your shorts wet if we find a good spot. In addition you'll need shoes that can get wet and won't be sucked off your feet by the muck in the flats.

Neil wouldn't accept the $20 that we paid for the one bag of Aragonite so the club has a treasury. I'll spend that on a seining net at wherever someone posted has the best price. (Couldn't find the post so if you could refresh my memory that would be great.)

Agu

Bugs825
04/13/2005, 12:58 PM
I think that people are voting for cooks sportland as the best place to get the net. They are very nice bunch over there.

I started a "location debate" thread

LETS DO IT!

Nathan

Agu
04/13/2005, 11:37 PM
Picked up one 4'X15" sein net at Cooks.

Agu

Bugs825
04/15/2005, 12:00 AM
Is 1 enough or should I get one too?

Nathan

Agu
04/15/2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Bugs825
Is 1 enough or should I get one too?

Nathan

When I went seining with Neil it took longer to look through the net than it did to sein. A good sized tub or two would be better than another net. That way some people can look through the catch while others are seining. Also whatever we catch will be less stressed and healthier when someone either keeps it or it's returned to the water.

If we do it that way we'll need a couple of aquarium nets to catch the critters in the tubs :lol: .

Agu

Bugs825
04/17/2005, 05:44 AM
Will 5 gallon buckets work???

A bunch of people have offered to bring them. I'll pick up a few little nets.

Nathan