PDA

View Full Version : Stonogobiops nematodes

Cakepro
01/13/2002, 05:22 PM
Hello ~
I am looking for information on the life and behavior of the threadfin goby, Stonogobiops nematodes. I recently purchased two of these awesome little fish and two Randall's pistol shrimp for them. My online search has yielded no information, nor has my search at fishbase.org. Any leads to good, comprehensive information on the lives of these fish will be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
~ Sherri ~

p.s. I prefer real books over online information.

hcs3
01/13/2002, 06:03 PM
hi sheri

might i recommend you do the search prior to purchase from now on? not that important this time around as the fish you choose are hardy, but in the future it may save you a possible headache/heartache.

S. nematodes is a hardy goby that does well with a symbiotic pistol, but doens't require it.

the goby needs to be in a passive aquarium. aggressive fish will keep it hidden and hinder it during feeding.

feed meat based foods; mysis, enriched brine, plankton, etc.

check out goby frontiers (http://uri.sakura.ne.jp/~dd/goby.htm) online or scott michaels's "500+ marine fishes..." book. scott also did a nice goby article for AFM this month.

HTH

henry

Guy
01/13/2002, 06:41 PM
The Threadfin goby seems to fare best as a mated pair. They will eat any type of fish food that floats by. Cool fish :D

Cakepro
01/13/2002, 09:02 PM
"might i recommend you do the search prior to purchase from now on? not that important this time around as the fish you choose are hardy, but in the future it may save you a possible headache/heartache."

Henry,

Before I bought the goby, I knew what I was getting and its requirements in captivity. I don't buy things without knowing exactly what I'm getting and whether it will adapt well to any of my tanks.

Okay, reefing community, let me clarify...I would like a lead on comprehensive information on this goby so that I may obtain more in-depth knowledge of this fish besides what it eats and how large it gets. I am particularly interested in its reproductive behavior.

~ Sherri

hcs3
01/13/2002, 09:39 PM
i would start here:

Hoese, D.F. and J.E. Randall, 1982 Revision of the Indo-Pacific gobiid fish genus Stonogobiops. Indo-Pac. Fish. (1):18 p.

rlp
01/15/2002, 11:39 AM
Sherri, Aquarium Fish Magazine, in their January & February 2002 issues, has a very good, two-part article on shrimp gobies by Scott Michael. The Stonogobiops are well represented in the article. Not sure, but would think you could order back issues from them. Their e-mail is aquariumfish@fancypubs.com. ---Rita

EdKruzel
01/15/2002, 12:43 PM
Sherri,

I once purchased a Stonogobiops nematodes, labeled as a Barber Pole Gobie, I acclimated the little guy and away he went into my reef. The next day nothing, next week nothing. I figured the poor little guy didn't make it.

Just over three years later we moved and while removing the rock from the tank my Stonogobiops nematodes scurried out from behind some rock alive and well.

It seems he had found a very small patch to call his own and was content to remain there. I, like many, mess with my tanks way too often and never knew he was there.

Good luck with your new guest, hope he finds a patch in your tank facing the front.

Ed

Cakepro
01/17/2002, 02:53 AM
Thanks, Henry, Rita, and Ed for your posts. Great story and great leads on where to read more about this cool fish.

Sadly, my mom's S. nemotodes went carpet surfing a couple of days ago. Hopefully, the two I have now won't commit suicide. It's pretty cool watching them move from their own burrows to each others burrows to either of the two pistol shrimp's burrows. These little guys are pretty indiscriminate about where they spend their time. Good thing it's just a 20 gallon with a deep sand bed and one large, long piece of live rock. I'd sure hate for them to disappear so I couldn't observe them. I can't wait until FFE gets more in and I can add 4 more to the tank. My preliminary research indicates they live well in a group and will actually breed in captivity. Species tank!!

Thanks again!

~ Sherri ~

rlp
01/17/2002, 07:51 AM
Sherri, in the article that I referred you to, it says that they can be kept in pairs but two males will fight especially in a tank less than 55 gal. It also says their aquarium should be well covered since they are prone to jumping out especially when the lights go out.

For the record, I have had a pair in my 30 gal. passive community for about 8 months. I love them. I also had one in another tank for over a year but he jumped out last summer while we were out of town. Now both tanks are covered. ---Rita