PDA

View Full Version : 125 input needed

bugshop
03/31/2005, 10:35 PM
I'm looking for input on my new tank.
It's an AGA RR 125.
I don't like the overflows so I'm thinking about removing one or both of them but I can't decide what to do.
One option I'm looking at is to keep one overflow for flow to the sump and surface skimming. Remove the other overflow and plumb the bulkheads to feed a closed loop.
I was thinking that I would use all four bulkheads for water leaving the tank and run the returns over the top of the tank so I can have more flow.
How does this sound so far?
Any suggestions?

Timmy

phishguy78
03/31/2005, 11:06 PM
hey timmy sounds like a plan dont really see anything wrong with you want to do sound like you will defently move some water why dont you like the two overflows just wondering

bugshop
04/01/2005, 06:08 AM
THey are too big and I want to be able to view from the end
of the tank without looking into or around it.

Timmy

H2OLUVSME
04/01/2005, 09:20 AM
Timmy the problem i see. if you use two of the pies without a drain wouldnt that cause the water line Iin the display) to drain down to the lowest pint.

i guess if you use the one with overflow box to the sump, and the bulkheds without overflow box to the closed loop it shouldnt be a problem. you may need to plug one and use the other for the closed loop intake. or you could run two closed loops, which i think would be ideal in the case of a pump faliure.

bugshop
04/01/2005, 08:02 PM
I picked up an ampmaster 3000 so I think I may need both
the 1" and 3/4" from that overflow for that pump.

I was planning on running them into a "T" for the flow.

As for a second pump, I will have a return from the sump and
the CL pump.

Timmy

phishguy78
04/01/2005, 09:43 PM
hey timmy whered you get the ampmaster what did you pay is'nt that the kind of pump that joe davis had i like it and will interesd in what you think about it after you get it running

bugshop
04/01/2005, 09:51 PM
Hi Stephen,
I got the pump from a guy in NC.
It is about 4 years old and comes with new seals.
I'm giving him $100 for it and won't have it till mid week.
Yes that's the same pump Joe has.

I'll ley you know how it works out.

Timmy

phishguy78
04/02/2005, 07:41 PM
let me know what happens ok timmy thanks man

dvmsn
04/03/2005, 01:25 AM
I would be a little nervous about structural integrity, when removing a reef-ready overflow. How are you going to cut it out?

chad508
04/03/2005, 09:13 AM
i know mine is just siliconed in, you should be ale to just cut out the caulk out and be fine.

bugshop
04/03/2005, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure but I think these overflows custom made.
But I know they offer no structural integrity.

Timmy

BubbaPhish
04/03/2005, 04:56 PM
Usually they are just stuck into place with silicone. Should be fine to razor out Timmy. Was this a new or used tank? You could always put one of the screen type filters over the bulkheads and could surface skim with one on the end of a piece of PVC pipe (black would be nice if you can find it up there).

Kevin

bugshop
04/10/2005, 08:46 PM
I'm working on my sump/fuge design ( a std 55) and am looking at doing something like Landon did.

Landon, do you have any pics of yours and any changes you would have made?

Dave and Will, where do yall stand on your sumps?

Timmy

H2OLUVSME
04/10/2005, 08:52 PM
what kind of return are you going to use? my sump works fine for a low flow. i like it that way, it maximizes fuge and skimmer time for the water flowing through the sump. if you are going to do a high flow sump i would set it up a bit different. maybe with a small passage in front of the fuge to let a majority of the water through.

i imagine i will do something like this (http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/j/sump_model_j.html) when i set up a bigger tank.

bugshop
04/10/2005, 08:58 PM
I was thinking about a mag 5 or 7 for return.
my flow in the displat will be via CL.

phishguy78
04/10/2005, 09:46 PM
hey timmy when i put in sump for the 150g at store i used a 33 long cause it is 12inches high everything else was to tall only cause i had to work around that downdraft shimmer to short but i do wish i would have put something a little wider that 12in maybe like 14 or 16 in wide

bugshop
04/10/2005, 10:03 PM
I decided on the 55 for the length, I would have used my 75 but the display is a 125 so it wouldn't give much room in the stand Front to back.
Hight shouldn't be a problem..My stand is going to be 40" tall.

I'm still looking at building a custom acrylic sump.
I like the looks of the one in the link from Landon.

Timmy

H2OLUVSME
04/11/2005, 07:24 AM
Timmy if you go with a mag5 i wouldnt think youd need to go around the fuge section. just make sure you have enough room to comfortably get your skimmer in and out.

dvmsn
04/11/2005, 10:11 AM
I got my sump completely ready this weekend. When I went to install the salt water seal in the new pump, I realized it was for the wrong model.

phishguy78
04/11/2005, 06:00 PM
hey timmy a 33 is 48" also i was thinking about a 55 but it was to tall for the stand i used so i went with 33 cause it is only 12 in tall but12 in wide 48 in long

phishguy78
04/11/2005, 06:01 PM
that sucks dave i hate when just one peice holds youback froma complete install

dvmsn
04/11/2005, 07:45 PM
I also realized last night that the water intake is completely snapped off the chiller.

phishguy78
04/11/2005, 07:48 PM
what kind on intake do you need might be able to help youth that

dvmsn
04/11/2005, 11:37 PM
The kind of intake the manufacturer put directly into the side of the unit. Note to self, don't wait three months to inspect something you bought off the internet.

phishguy78
04/11/2005, 11:48 PM
ohh that sucks what you gonna try to do doyou think you can find a peice around here that wouldwork

BubbaPhish
04/12/2005, 09:18 AM
Stop giving me the willies Dave.....................I havn't been able to do anything to my tank yet as I have been sick since last week. At least I can say I learned real well how a coral feels when cooked. A temp of 103 for 3 days straight will do that, plus give you all kinds of weird nightmares while sleeping.
You need to see if that Murphy guy is lurking around you somewhere and tell him and his law to take a hike. Finding a part to fix your chiller shouldn't be that hard. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Timmy.......did you or anyone ever find out for sure about GE Polymer Shapes Sales Policy to individuals? I had been looking at using a 30 or 37 gal. aquarium for a sump but still not happy with the dimensions of either as far as available room in my stand goes. I have been thinking about acrylic, possibly even a wood sump if need be and coat with an epoxy based paint. I am gonna try and call around today and see if any locals have decent acrylic prices.

Kevin

bugshop
04/12/2005, 03:53 PM
Kevin,
I don't think they sell to individuals.
LMK what you need and I'll "buy" it and have a friend pick it up...YOU!!
PM me the details.

Timmy

Timmy

bugshop
04/12/2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by dvmsn
I also realized last night that the water intake is completely snapped off the chiller.

Dave,
What is it that is broken? What type of material?

I doubt that it can't be fixed.

Timmy

jjac
04/12/2005, 06:54 PM
Kevin,
I have a good bit of 3/16" acrylic. What are the dimensions of the sump that you are wanting to build? If needed I could build it for you.
Jimmy

tomterreefic
04/14/2005, 12:27 AM
Buyer Beware! That's why I'm always leary of internet buying. Try as you might to save a few bucks, next hing you know you've spent an extra $50 bucks to fix your purchase. And you don't even notice a problem unitl 3 months later. Been there, done that and lost the T-Shirt. Or Murphy's wearing it. Sucks Dave. Hopefully you can get it fixed soon.

Kevin- Murphy's been hanigin' around me for the last 2-3 days. Or maybe he's got a twin brother. ANYBODY need a pet Murphy? He keeps enforcing his law at the most inopportune times. Soembody take him please.

BubbaPhish
04/14/2005, 07:40 AM
Timmy,
Thanks for the offer to deal with GE Polymer.

Jimmy thanks for the offer to build.

I have decided to go with a 30gal aquarium for a sump. Will be cheaper in the long run and will work. Would only have to silicone a few baffles in place, which shouldn't be too tough to do. Sump will wind up being 36x12x16, should be enough room for my needs. Wish I had an extra 2" in width inside of my stand and I would be able to use a 40 breeder, that would have been nice.

Kevin

BubbaPhish
04/14/2005, 07:46 AM
Tom I have been tring to keep an eye on that Murphy guy. I have been sick for a week and yesterday was the first day I have even ventured out of the house. I went and picked up my new skimmer I ordered last week.
I wound up going with an ASM G-2, to use in the new setup. Since I noticed Murphy around and I was/am still sick I have done nothing to my new tank but let it sit..........Empty tank syndrome is now begining to set in, especially since I saw a ton of corals yesterday that I wanted, and I have to where to put anything right now.
Oh I been meaning to ask.......how is that 75 workinig out for you?

Kevin

tomterreefic
04/14/2005, 08:50 AM
Kevin- I too am fighting empty tank and empty wallet syndrome. Funds are too low to set-up right now. Hopefully in few weeks I can get it going. I just purchased a new washer and dryer last week which tapped my wallet. Also, been working on getting the 30 gal. stabilized. Got a heavy growth of dinoflaggelate algae trying to overgrow everything. Had some heat issues when I installed the MH, but seemed to have gotten that under control for now. So, I'm in a hurry up and wait mode. Decisions, Decisions... Should I pay the rent or set-up the tank? Damn I hate having to make these choices. I want the best of both worlds.