PDA

View Full Version : How does this BB work?

shellisland
05/31/2000, 11:52 PM
A big thank you for answering that one...I can stop taking all those sleeping pills now :D Didnt your whole tank crack? Saw all the support on the board for that one..awesome group of people here...what is the status of it now?...and if I remember correctly, you showed me a pic of your flame angel...Thank you for that too!!

------------------
I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted the paychecks

shellisland
06/01/2000, 06:51 AM
ok, so I dont know a whole lot about computers...How did this BB get started? Did someone out of the goodness of their heart see the need for us computer bound reefers to have a resource to get info? How old is this? Could it ever 'go out of business'? Are sponsors the only ones that pay for it? How do you get to be a moderator-what does a moderator do (I know, I know, MODERATE!! :) But what does that mean specifically? )When I first found the different bb's, it seems like they all LOOK the same, as in the same general format. (of course this one is much more fun :D ) Did the same people start all of the other ones?

This is keeping me up at night...what does it all mean :D

------------------
I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted the paychecks

Larry M
06/01/2000, 07:29 AM
Hi Shelli--

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shellisland:
ok, so I dont know a whole lot about computers...How did this BB get started? Did someone out of the goodness of their heart see the need for us computer bound reefers to have a resource to get info? How old is this?

The Reef Central message board started out with some free software that anyone can obtain for the asking in Sept. of last year. (I started to post a link to the old board, but I see they finally deleted it--it was at boardhost.com). We switched over to this software (Infopop's UBB) on October 4th, 1999.

Three of us--myself, MIKE (Mike Andrews) and HCS3 (Henry Schultz) were frequent Aqualink posters. We started this board because we grew disillusioned with the atmosphere at AL.
We parted company shorty after start-up.

Could it ever 'go out of business'? Are sponsors the only ones that pay for it?

How the board is supported is a long story. To get it up and running, Mike and I put up the money. After startup, I paid to keep it going out of my own pocket for a while. Then, traffic got heavy and the el-cheapo hosting company we had started to have problems keeping us running. We switched hosts three times in the first few months. After doing some research I came to the conclusion that we needed our own server. This was going to cost some serious dollars. I started to recruit sponsors, and IceCap took the bait. About the time we were ready to switch to the new hosting company, ctenophore (one of the administrators here) came forward with a very sweet offer from his place of employment, to host our board. So thanks to ctenephore, and IceCap, we are here today running smoothly!!If our "sweet deal" ever changes, or IceCap decides we are no longer worthy, we may be scrambling for some cash to support the board.
Seriously, that's part of the story that often doesn't get told. Those two bailed us out--there is no way I could have supported the current hardware that we use on my own.

As for whether it goes out of business or not.....sure, it could happen. I'm the owner of the board, but there are three of us with the same access codes, passwords, etc: myself, JohnL, and ctenophore. If something happened to me or I decided to get out of the hobby (not likely, I didn't have much luck the last time I tried ;) ) I would hope the other two would keep RC going. I don't see the board going anywhere, anytime soon.

How do you get to be a moderator-what does a moderator do (I know, I know, MODERATE!! :) But what does that mean specifically? )

I pick the moderators, sometimes I will seek input from the other moderators and administrators here. Actually, the last thing I look for in a moderator is a moderator. ;) The name doesn't fit the position, IMO. I want someone who wants to help others, primarily. The "crowd control" part of the job description is a minor thing. Helper is a better description. I pick people who's postings I am familiar with. If I see someone who frequents the board, has some good knowledge about the hobby, likes to help out others....then that person is a good candidate. I try to rotate the moderators fairly often to keep things fresh and give everyone a chance to help others out. I think our moderators are very proud of the position they have, and really, really, enjoy helping out others. And, I think they do an excellent job, better than any other message board on the internet.

When I first found the different bb's, it seems like they all LOOK the same, as in the same general format. (of course this one is much more fun :D ) Did the same people start all of the other ones?

None of the popular boards you see--Aqualink, Aquaria Central (which may be down for good :( ), reefs.org, Saltwater Guide, The Reef Tank or Reef Central--are connected, at least not to my knowledge. We all use the same software because it is the most user-friendly message board software that exists, at least for now. Our traffic jumped about 1000% once we made the shift from the old board software to this one.
I recently started another message board, Reef Stores.com (http://63.75.34.139/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true), but as far as I know the others are not connected.

This is keeping me up at night...what does it all mean :D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It means we're all crazy!! :D And hopefully you can sleep better now. ;)

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Stores.com (http://63.75.34.139/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?) The liaison between hobbyists and on-line retailers.

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

Staceon
06/01/2000, 08:02 AM
Larry,

By any chance do you know why Aquaria Central may be down for good?

Thanks,

Staceon

Larry M
06/01/2000, 02:18 PM
Staceon--Just speculation, it seems they have been down for a longer period of time on this one.

Shelli--Yeah, my tank cracked. Doesn't seem like such a big deal when you take a look at what's happening to some other people lately. I have a new one on order, should be here in a week or so.

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Stores.com (http://63.75.34.139/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?) The liaison between hobbyists and on-line retailers.

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

signu459
06/01/2000, 04:33 PM
Great queations Shelli, I always wondered what origins of RC were. Sure sounds like Larry has made a large commitment to this board.

I feel I owe him a BIG OLE HUG

Thanks Lar

BTW you have been pushing on that Vac for a solid week now and it hasn't budged. By any chance is it still filled up with your old tank water???? He he :D

[This message has been edited by signu459 (edited 06-01-2000).]

Larry M
06/01/2000, 05:03 PM
Actually, I'm not pushing it. I'm holding it back, trying to keep from being run over. :D

Getting mighty tired, though.

------------------
Larry M

Martyn
06/01/2000, 06:22 PM
I am pleased this question came up.
When I connected on to my internet today I recieved an email informing me I had been selected as a moderator by suggestions of my friend on the marine section of a UK bbs Board. :eek:
I don't no how to move posts and did not know what i would have to do.
but from how Larry sees the job I will try and visit the UK board often and help with questions as much as I am able too if i know about the question.
I hope I learn what is expected of me.
Martyn.

aLittletank
06/01/2000, 06:49 PM
I bet that board will not have "stock options" like RC has for its moderators. :) i understand they rival microsofts stock option plan. Larry is so filthy stinkin rich from his RC stock that he paid someone to pose in the picture at the top. :D

Allen

Larry M
06/01/2000, 06:50 PM
Good for you, Martyn. You should make a great moderator. Most of this software business is just point and click, I'm sure you won't have a problem. Make sure you let us know the link for the board so we can come and harass you. ;)

------------------
Larry M

Martyn
06/01/2000, 07:00 PM
Lol as always typical alittletank :D
Larry thanks for the compliment and support.
I welcome all from this board to visit and advice :)
the link.
http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/cgi-local/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie= true (http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/cgi-local/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true)

Martyn
BTW
Some seem a little jealous of you Reefers from the USA as you have much more choices than us but please don't let that stop you from posting on the board.
They realise the knowledge you have over there.
I have nicked some of your cartoon caracters hope they are not copyrights and the ones who used them don't mind me using them. :)

[This message has been edited by Martyn (edited 06-01-2000).]

wayne
06/02/2000, 04:15 PM
Another comment about the picture at the top...

For those of you who haven't been around long, the picture is actually doctored by horge (or was that dark horge?) The original picture was larry pushing on his now (may it rest in pieces) 125 on top of the stand he built... proving that it would withstand the force of gravity. Thereby allowing all of us to admire and wow at the building prowess of our fearless leader.

If I'm not mistaken the "mega vac" comes from the picture Lar posted after his tank water vacated the 125.

Doug1
06/04/2000, 11:54 PM
Martyn, the puter part of being a moderator is easy, believe me. I dont know much about puter stuff or the technical details about how the UBB format works. It is as Larry says pretty much point and click. Most boards have one or more tech oeriented people who handle that while moderators are free to help out and offer guidence. Crowd control on Reef Central or the Reef Tank arent big issues. Policy is generally decided on by the owner/ops and moderators are given guidelines and pass words or access codes that allow them to move,close or delete threads depending on policy and format. Really not a problem with a board with a good following. In all honesty my stint as moderator here on RC was very easy as the work is shared among moderators and members.
I really recomend the experience, you cant help but learn from it and you meet others outside your normal circle. Good Luck on your endevour and enjoy

------------------
Reef as though your life depended on it, yours might but the sea's does.........Doug ReefTank administrator