PDA

View Full Version : Predatory crabs

marietrg
03/31/2005, 04:43 PM
I've never been able to have snails successfully in my tank. It seems the crabs always manage to eat them. Does anyone else have this problem?

gillies
03/31/2005, 05:00 PM
Wish I could tell you how to solve the problem. I don'y know what type of crab you have. I have four acro crabs in the tank that seem to have no interest in snails until they die. My snails breed constantly and I have little babies all the time. I think some of the fish eat these.

GGGREGGG
03/31/2005, 07:09 PM
what kind of crabs do you have in your tank? have you ever tried looking around in there with a red lense over a flashlight to see if there's any trouble makers moving around on your liverock under the cover of darkness?

Charlie Davidson
03/31/2005, 10:11 PM
Many people do not recommed crabs because of this. I guess I will never learn. I still have a few!

jake2045
03/31/2005, 10:38 PM
Tons of empty,and up side down snails shells.I just replace them and don't worry about it.

ranceego
04/02/2005, 12:33 PM
crab will eat anything they can catch, i still have them too charlie

BigEasy
04/03/2005, 12:02 AM
Yeah I still have them too. Had to break up a crab fight today, as they were fighting over one of their buddies they off'd:D (I was messing in the tank already or I wouldn't have bothered)

I have hermits and an emerald that don't bother anything but each other.

tangface
04/06/2005, 08:04 PM
most snails are killed by hermit crabs wanting the shells. a simple solution is stock your tank with cerith snails. they breed in the tank and hermits could care less about them because the shells are too small