PDA

View Full Version : Lazycharlie's 40ish Gal Tank Journal

lazycharlie
03/30/2005, 08:41 AM
As a way to get more coversation flowing, I thought it would be really nice if I could get a chance to actually see some of our members tanks develop. This might also have the added benefit of helping us get to know each other. Thinking it would be slightly rude to let y'all do all the work, I decided to be the guinea pig.

Just Ignore this thread if you think its a bad idea, but otherwise don't be bashful. I'm too new to this hobby to take any pride in my knowledge so questions such as "why the hell did you do such a moronic thing?" suprisingly enough don't bother me. Ok, tank journal comming soon...

lazycharlie
03/30/2005, 09:19 AM
About a year ago, I decided to take the plunge and convert an old, unused 20 gallon tank into a small and simple reef tank. My goal was to have a tank that I could study by that offered relaxation, entertainment, and gave me a new hobby to learn. Unfortunately that tank crashed... What you and I look at and see as a complex mini-ecosystem, my two cats looked at and saw a wrestling mat (actually they are not my cats, and they will be gone soon, but thats a much longer story). So here I am today with a little bigger tank, a light without a balast and a new set of goals.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/511/83231tank5.jpg

This is my tank as it stands now. Its not much to look at, that I know, but its still a lot of fun.

lazycharlie
03/30/2005, 09:48 AM
It is designed to be a refugium for a 95gal dedicated mandarin tank so I am trying to grow as much chaet, pods, and algae as possible. The sand bed Is also not as deep as it looks, it has a sand front with piles of crushed coral and LR rubble under most of the live and base rock.

My next step (after I fix the light) is to add one of the following three things. I dont know which, and I find that at the rate I am learning I will probably change my mind soon anyways.

Option 1
Chromis probably 5 of them. I feel like w/o a strong bioload I am skipping a step in the food chain. If I were to add some fish, then perhaps I will get better macro growth (as opposed to just feeding the macro directly like I am now). I picked Chromis because the are peaceful, attractive, like to school, and hardy enough to insure that I can confidently move them when I do get a larger tank and this one becomes a dedicated refugium.

Option 2
New Lights (http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12)
Its cheasy, and the quality is suspect, but a good unit considering the price... at least thats what the reviews that I found seemed to agree on. Plus it looks REALLY COOL.

Option 3
Build a DIY hood
this would let me get a better light systems (probably this one (http://www.hellolights.com/40m1methalre.html), but I'm not sure that I am up to this kind of DIY task just yet.

chrali
03/30/2005, 12:42 PM
At the our first meeting their were quite a few people interested in doing a bulk order on halide balasts and other parts. you might want to see if everyone is still interested in doing that. you might be able to save a few dollars. Fish are always fun to watch :) .

bugshop
04/01/2005, 07:52 PM
Baby steps;)

Just take your time.
It looks like you have a plan
that's one thing I didn't have when I started with SW
about 7 years ago.

keep us posted and LMK if I can do anything
to help.

Timmy

lazycharlie
04/14/2005, 08:03 AM
ok, why didnt somebody tell me that chromis were such scarry fish!?
After researching on the various boards I was read repeatedly adviced to expect 50% to die within 3 months no matter how good I treat them . :( I was especially nervous about adding them. So I take my time, acclimate them very slowly and watch carefully..... It turns out that these fish are VERY ugly sleepers. I really think that these fish inspired the phrase "sleep like the dead." They turn grey and spotty, curve thier bodies and use thier fins to stay about 2mm off of the surface. As soon as morning comes around and some light hits the tank, they return to normal. I watched them for hours saturday afternoon and can't find a single thing wrong with them. But at night Its all I can do to keep from poking them and waking them up :)

chrali
04/14/2005, 10:31 AM
I don't know if it is normal but that happens with my anthia, lawnmower blenny, and fairy wrasse. Pretty ugly looking. I have had my fish at least 6 months and they are fine. I wouldn't worry.