PDA

View Full Version : picture help

Ashley7524
03/28/2005, 10:11 AM
I was just wondering if someone could give me a few hints on taking good pics. My pics never show the true color of the fish or coral. I know it is not the best digital camara but it takes decent pics (other then the ones of the tank). Any ideas on how to get some good pics.:confused:

STACKER
03/28/2005, 01:12 PM
I can help. I also travel w/ camera for firends and friends with beer! :)

Let me know what camer a you have and I can maybe help there, or I can take some pics for you and either e-mail'em ir burn 'em on a cD for you. Let me know...

Dale

STACKER
03/28/2005, 01:28 PM
...I'll take pics for frags too!!!!!! One can never get enough "cheap" frags.

Steven Pro
03/28/2005, 02:05 PM
There is a ton of great information here,
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=546106

STACKER
03/28/2005, 03:22 PM
Great info. though most is wasted if you have a point and shoot camera. Some of the newer mid range cameras have white balance, exposure, and macro/super macro focus which helps a ton! I gave my old digital to my daughter and bought a nice $400 Fiji that made all the difference in the world. I only use 10% of it's capability but take some great shots.

Most important:

NEVER use a flash

turn off all lighting except for the tank lights (lamps, spots, etc.) to eliminate reflections from the glass.

Use a tripod whenever possible (makes a huge difference in focus and pic clarity).

Everything had to do with your camera's capability.

Again, I have camera and will travel!

sbluscombe
03/28/2005, 10:53 PM
Ash iIuse a photo edit program. Not to make things look more colorful but to make the pics look like what I see in the tank. You almost have to use one to get the colors right. Things get so imbalanced frome the lights.
Steve

STACKER
03/29/2005, 07:22 AM
Right! I use and editor to filter out blues from Actinics that tend to blur the image, it's also good to adjust the brightmess and contrast to help certain depth to stand out or apart from the background. I'm posting pics I took at Paul's lastnight or his and Chris's tanks. Take a look at the "Others tank pics" thread.

Ashley7524
03/30/2005, 09:57 AM
My camera does have all that white balance stuff and other crap. I just dont nkow what to set it at.

Stacker maybe once we get the tank more full (rock and corals) we will have to have you come over and take some pics, Dont worry we have plenty of beer. If theres something special you like we probably have it!! lol

Thanks for all the ideas I am going to give some a try when I get home today.

STACKER
03/30/2005, 11:06 AM
Good start then! I typically use a preset WB setting for max blue removal. It's the highest fluorescent setting and does great on VHO's and PC's even if you use alot of actinic. Paul has a bit of everything but even the pics I thought would be crappy still came out well. A tripod is a must for really good shots. Beer=Good!