PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer vs. refractometer

nellie54914
03/28/2005, 12:00 AM
We have gone through 2 instant ocean hydrometers and they were showing just below 1.024 with both of those. Since 2 broke in about 5 months we got a Coralife Deep Six this time. to see if that would last longer. With this one it says we're at 1.021. Which would you think is right? We're thinking the IO since 2 of them said the same, but it's a bit concerning since is such a big difference.

Do you guys use hydrometers or refractometers? Since that reading I've been looking at the refractometers, what have your experiences been with them? Where's the best price you've found on them?

Thanks for your help and advice! :)
~michelle

mrpink44
03/28/2005, 12:19 PM
Hard to say which one is right...if either. They could both be off and you wouldn't know it. You could either borrow a refractometer and see what the true difference is and then just compensate or buy a refractometer.

I bought a hydrometer and used it for about a week. I found a refractometer online for $39.99.....one of the best purchases I've made. No hassles, fast, easy, and accurate.

jdieck
03/28/2005, 12:27 PM
Go refractometer without doubts.

jmkarcz
03/28/2005, 12:46 PM
Refractometer, Compensates for the temp difference, most people forget about that...

Mine MUST be better than MRPINK's since I paid more :( I have noticed a descrepency as well. But after testing all of my incomming water when I bring home fish, or even MRPINK's Hawk (doing great by the way), you can't put a hydrometer in a bag with the fish, but you can use an eye dropper to put a few drops on the slide.

(MRPINK I'm just kiding you know)

Jason

mrpink44
03/28/2005, 01:15 PM
LOL Jason!!!

Glad to hear the Hawk is doing well!! I can't wait to see your in-wall project when completed :-)

Aquabucket
03/28/2005, 02:15 PM
I actually removed all the Deep Six hydrometers from our store when I first started. When measured against a refractometer some were 4 points off right out of the box.

The IO's have been fairly accurate so far. I often have hobbyists bring their hydrometers in and test them against my refractometer.

z28cam
03/28/2005, 02:32 PM
When I first started I used a hydrometer, when I finaly got a refractometer I found out my tank was seriously lacking salt. If you want nellie since you live in Appleton you could burrow mine and see what your salinity is.

What salt do you use? And how much do you put in per gallon. For me using Instant Ocean 1/2 per gallon puts it at 1.026 everytime.

Hella
03/28/2005, 09:57 PM
Aquabucket,
Why dont you have refractometers in the store?

Aquabucket
03/29/2005, 12:47 AM
I have one but don't offer any for sale. I inform my customers on how to get one for about $50 shipped. Same for RO/DI units, lighting, skimmers, etc....

Dry goods are not the stores focus point ~ way too much competition online and elsewhere.

My dept. specializes in livestock and corals along with the basics like salt, additives, food, test kits, etc...

We also have good deals on AGA tanks and stands.

BryanJ
03/29/2005, 09:40 AM
Which test kits are you stocking?

aberg12012
03/29/2005, 03:57 PM
Troulbe with the floating arms... as everyone else has said...

You really never know. There are too many variables with the floating arm hydrometers. Temperture, being the most obvious. I've tested several hydrometers against my refracto (the $35 one from foster&smith) and ALL of them were at least 2 or 3 points off, one way or the other.

So one would think "great, I'll just remember mine is (x) points off, and I'll compensate." Trouble with that, is tomorow when you use it, it'll probably be off from yesterday's calibration. They just arn't a consistant measuring device.

nellie54914
03/29/2005, 06:50 PM
I keep seeing postings of them for $35 at Foster & Smith...was that a one-time special they had, or do they have that frequently?

three fish
03/31/2005, 11:27 PM
The timing of this thread is perfect. I just got my refracometer three weeks ago. I have been using a hydrometer that I bought way back when Pet World was in Appleton. I could'nt wait to see how off I have been for all these years. I calibrated my new blue refractometer, added three drops of tank water and peered through the site. Well gosh darn it!! It is exactly what my glass hydrometer says!!! I was a bit let down after my experience but it did give me proof that I was doing things right. I agree that the swing arms and most glass hydrometers are not accurate so get the refractometer and eliminate all of your salinity worries.

I got mine for $42.00 from Premium Aquatics.

jmkarcz
04/01/2005, 02:23 PM
But remember, a glass floating hydrometer is different, I bought a premo glass one years ago and it's right on, but floating arms are different... as is a true refractometer..

The problem with a floating hydrometer is that the average hobbiest can't snake neck and read the miniscus (slopped water at the glasses edge) while it's in a bucket, and to be done properly, water should be transferred into a tall glass tube, then the hydrometer floated. This is the way they do it in making wine and spirits if I'm not mistaken. I still find that inconvienient when I'm standing there with a new fish in a bag and want to test the water before adding it to the tank.

Jmkarcz

nellie54914
05/06/2005, 10:25 PM
We finally got a refractometer after my husband broke ANOTHER hydrometer, he has a habit of knocking them onto the floor! Figured by the time we replace the ones he keeps breaking we'd have already paid for the refractometer. Our IO hydrometer was right on, good to know it's been where we thought it was all along! :)

kass03
05/06/2005, 11:12 PM
Man whats he doing to those hydrometers?????
I've had the same instant ocean hydrometer since they came out with that kind lmao.
Used to be they only had the glass ones with a thermometer in it.
Was alot of fun trying to see the salinity while it bounced around the tank :crazy1:

I wonder how long it will take him to break the refractometer? We could start a pool :D

kass

nellie54914
05/07/2005, 01:34 PM
The area that our tank is in behind the bar has ceramic tile floor, and he always sets it on the bar to dry, usually on a corner. So he'll forget it's there or move something around on the bar and there it goes to the floor! Don't think he'll break his, I know he'll be more careful with it, and there's onluy the small area that'll need to dry so we can just set it in its case to dry, he better not drop this! :)

aberg12012
05/07/2005, 05:14 PM
Instead of buying hydrometere after hydrometer... just get a nice refracto and be done with it. :)

jdieck
05/07/2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by aberg12012
Instead of buying hydrometere after hydrometer... just get a nice refracto and be done with it. :)
Originally posted by nellie54914
We finally got a refractometer after my husband broke ANOTHER hydrometer, he has a habit of knocking them onto the floor! Figured by the time we replace the ones he keeps breaking we'd have already paid for the refractometer. Our IO hydrometer was right on, good to know it's been where we thought it was all along! :)

aberg12012
05/07/2005, 06:03 PM
LOL Oops... nothing like posting a comment before reading the rest of the thread! :lol:

nellie54914
05/07/2005, 06:19 PM
haha...maybe you got bit by one of your spiders! :D

aberg12012
05/07/2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by nellie54914
haha...maybe you got bit by one of your spiders! :D

LOL speaking of which, here's one I found last night on my floor. :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/berg12012/Spider/22005-05-07_13.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/berg12012/Spider/22005-05-07_08.jpg

That one was only about 1/2", a little smaller than my pinkey nail.

kass03
05/08/2005, 09:17 AM
OMG I cant like spiders!
Quit reminding us.

I might just be busy for the next meeting :lol2:
You know were all gonna be looking around for spiders now lol.

kass

aberg12012
05/10/2005, 10:35 AM
:lol: I don't doubt it. :) I doubt you'll find any during the day though. And their numbers are diminishing. :hammer: :uzi: